Question Are these 18G cable extensions with corsair rm850x a mistake waiting for the pcie 3080 Gpu's

papasito_gringo

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2014
I have a corsair rm850x and currently have 2 pcie cables + one of their piggies running to my evga ftw3 3080 for 3 total connections and everything runs great. I just bought some extensions cables and realized that these are 18ga wires, and I could be wrong, but I believe the corsair might be 16ga at least for their pcie connections that have piggies. I'm worried about running these wires if it's true they are smaller gauge wires, especially if I'll be using one of these pcie extension cable connected to that one piggy. I wouldn't be as concerned if corsair provided 3 separate pcie cables in the box and I ran 3 extension off of each, but they do not in the rm850x. Any thoughts on this from someone who actually knows would be great.

This is how I have my wires connected as of now if someone doesn't understand, it's the picture that everyone uses for the 3080 power hook up if you don't use 3 separate cables.

Thanks Again..
qfwh3kboeyl51.png

papasito_gringo

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2014
Yah, cable mod is super expensive, and well corsair is over a 100 dollars for their prem cables and i'm not even sure if it's supplied with 3 seperate pcie cables as well. I mean I see a lot of people using extensions cables, I'm just not sure if corsair uses a 16 or 18 ga on their pcie cables since they have that piggy included. Corsairs psu wires are thick and hard to position, plus it has all those piggies on both pcie cables. Not sure what to do :(