[SOLVED] Are these components good for a Gaming pc?

Maxjan1

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
So, i recently fried/damaged my pc by spilling water on it 😐 i am pretty sure the motherboard is the problem and i am currently looking for new components.
I am looking for an upgrade.
Here are the components i found being sold together, i thought they looked interesting:

CPU: Xeon 2697 V3 QS
HK: Asus x99-e ws 10g
Ram: 32Gb Kingston Ballistix Sport 2400 (4X8gb
They are being sold used for 9000nok = roughly 900 dollars i am going to haggle him down tho
Should i go for it? Is it much of an upgrade?

My previous setup:
CPU : i7 4770k
Gpu : Geforce 1070
Ram : hyper 16 gb
Motherboard : msi Gaming 3 i think
Psu : 550 w

Honestly, you'd probably see a MILD increase in performance. That CPU is Haswell, same as your current 4770k, and while your 4770k can be overclocked to increase the single core and overall performance, the Xeon cannot be overclocked and even if it could it would be severely limited by the number of cores.

Most of those could not usually achieve their rated maximum boost clocks without either serious cooling or disabling of some cores. Games aren't going to use that many cores so unless you are doing some SERIOUS multitasking, like gaming, recording, streaming, encoding, bunch of browser tabs, lots of other Windows and third party processes running as well at the same time, it's unlikely you're going to see much improvement and you might even see a DECREASE in performance because that 4770k has faster single core performance and can maintain and achieve it's boost clocks on all cores with no problem.

Plus it has much higher boost clocks to begin with and could be overclocked further. Most games would never use more than 4-6 cores, at most, with maybe a very few capable of using a few more cores to any degree that would show up as an increase in performance and a good many not using more than 4 or less.

For gaming, and especially given the age of that hardware, there is no way I'd pay 900 US dollars for it. Maybe 400-500 dollars. To somebody else with an actual need for that many games it might be worth it, but not to somebody strictly gaming.

Reactions: vMax

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's a HEDT, E-ATX setup. That requires a ton of cooling. It's a 14 core / 28 thread monster cpu with a TDP of 145w and boost of only 3.6GHz. You'll not find really any games that'll take advantage of its core counts. It's a server cpu designed for lots of slow, heavy computational usage.

Itd be great for multiple virtual machine usage, massive rendering projects or compiling, but for gaming it's next to useless, in a much worse position than your old pc components.

The only component that's always 'bigger is better' is the cpu cooler. Everything else is subject to limitations.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Even with the CPU cooler, bigger isn't ALWAYS better. At some point you might be using a cooler that is far more capable than what could ever result in any actual benefit to your CPU. Getting a bigger cooler than keeps your CPU at 60°C instead of 70°C isn't necessarily beneficial if you don't have a thermal issue that is keeping you from overclocking further, since 70°C wasn't a problem to start with. Just as an example.

Maxjan1

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
Thanks ppl! Awesome replies both of you.
I saw indeed that it had lower per core performance and i know its not a cpu for Gaming but i thought sin the cpu is so expensive and i would get a motherboard and 32gb ram in the same deal it would be Worth it, not everyday you would get a deal like that.
But since it has so many cores could it not be better to Just use more of them? I have heard some third party software can help with that?
Can you guys recommend me a good cpu? Was thinking AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, , 16GB RAM, X570 motherboard for around 900 dollars
Budget is about the same.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor (kr5917.00 @ Dustin Home)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard (kr2328.00 @ Dustin Home)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (kr1449.00 @ CDON SE)
Total: kr9694.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-30 13:51 CEST+0200

And that's before choosing a 280mm/360mm AIO or Noctua NH-D15 class cpu cooler.

(this is Swedish krona, @ $938)

Reactions: Maxjan1
I think even that is overkill for any current gaming system. I don't see any reason to spend that much money unless you are playing AC:Odysee and need to hit 240fps. LOL.

Especially without even knowing what games they tend to play or what graphics card they are using.

Plus, not seeing an exact model number listed for the PSU tells me it's probably a pile of crap, in which case if you're going to spend a load of money I think including a good one in that is a good idea.