Are these components good for Gaming and video editing ? and What are the best components for a Gaming and video editing pc

DaylightQueendom

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Hi, I wanted to know what components should I buy for a gaming/video editing pc
and if the components I chose fits right together, and if not what else should I buy and why, I'm not entirely an expert in these type of things so any help with a little bit of details and explanations would be very appreciated :)

The components :

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 GAMING 8GB GDDR5 (GV-N1070G1 GAMING-8GD )

Intel Core I7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1151 Desktop Processor

Western Digital (WD) Purple WD30PURX 3TB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 Socket 1151 Motherboard

Cooler Master V8 GTS High Performance CPU Cooler

HEC Cougar Evolution 6GR1 Full Tower Case

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 X 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 V1.2 Dual Channel Memory Kit (CMK32GX4M4A2666C16W

and what's the perfect PSU for these components ?

Solution
Gaming & Editing have differing 'ideal' requirements. For a rig to do both well, you have to find the best balance - and you're certainly on the right track.

For editing, depending on the specific program(s) used, you're generally looking at a good balance of CPU cores/threads, and clock speed. AMD FX chips can be ok on a budget with their numerous cores (depending on the model), opposed to an Intel dual/quad chip - but it certainly doesn't sound like you're on too tight a budget.

Gaming won't utilize as many cores, and a good blend of a few cores & higher clock speeds would be preferred option. AMD lack the efficiency with their (much!) older architecture. Intel is the clear winner in gaming.

As for the GPU, for gaming, there's...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The memory is probably overkill depending on the editing but overall looks good.
For the power supply a quality 550 watt would work just fine i would go with a 650 Watt to have more upgrade room.
I would look at the EVGA G2 series or Corsair RMx
Your also going to need a CPU cooler the K series don't come with one.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Gaming & Editing have differing 'ideal' requirements. For a rig to do both well, you have to find the best balance - and you're certainly on the right track.

For editing, depending on the specific program(s) used, you're generally looking at a good balance of CPU cores/threads, and clock speed. AMD FX chips can be ok on a budget with their numerous cores (depending on the model), opposed to an Intel dual/quad chip - but it certainly doesn't sound like you're on too tight a budget.

Gaming won't utilize as many cores, and a good blend of a few cores & higher clock speeds would be preferred option. AMD lack the efficiency with their (much!) older architecture. Intel is the clear winner in gaming.

As for the GPU, for gaming, there's arguments for either team (nVidia or AMD).
For editing, there are clear winners, depending on the program(s) used. Premiere / Adobe programs heavily utilize CUDA cores, making nVidia the only worthwhile option. Sony Vegas, on the other hand, can actually run slower when attempting GPU acceleration with nVidia cards. AMD are the better option there.

RAM doesn't vary too much. For gaming, 16GB is more than you're ever likely to need in the lifespan of any given rig. Editing, depending on the program can use almost as much as you can throw at it. 32GB isn't unrealistic here at all.

A pretty good sized SSD would likely be helpful in editing - the smaller 'OS' sized (~120GB) would be a waste, but a minimum 500GB would see you pretty well. Of course, maintain mechanical HDDs for cheap storage.

The i7-6700K is a pretty good balance for both tasks. 4Core/8Thread, can turbo to 4.2GHz.

It depends what your primary goal is. The i7-5820K is a better editing chip (6Core/12Thread), but it won't 'game' quite as well (although likely only a couple of % lower FPS etc).

Solution

DaylightQueendom

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016

Thank you :)

DaylightQueendom

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain and answer in detail, that really helped me, wish you all the best :)