[SOLVED] Are These Cooling Fans Good Enough for My New Gaming PC?

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I plan to build a new gaming PC. I have already ordered the parts on Black Friday, but I am waiting on stock availability for the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU and an Nvidia RTX 3070/3080 GPU. I have decided to build a somewhat simplified mid-to-upper range gaming PC. I am forgoing the fancy cosmetics and lighting and focusing on functionality partly because I have fewer components to worry about malfunctioning or going out. I do not plan to overclock either. I have also chosen to go with fewer larger case fans instead of more smaller case fans both for simplicity and to have fewer parts to worry about possibly breaking or going bad over time. I want my gaming PC to have proper cooling but at the same time to be as quiet as possible. I have done my research on computer parts, including the cooling fans, and narrowed my selection to brands that were most frequently mentioned. These are the cooling fans that I have selected along with the case, power supply, case fan controller, and motherboard in case it helps:

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 UD ATX AM4 Motherboard
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Case Fan (200mm): Cooler Master Megaflow 110 CFM 200 mm Fan
Case Fan [140mm (x3)]: Enermax T.B. Silence Adv 66.57 CFM 140 mm Fan
Case Fan [140mm (x3)]: Scythe Kaze Flex Square 67.2 CFM 140 mm Fan
Case Fan Controller: Aerocool F6XT Fan Controller

Please note that I intend to return the three 140 mm Enermax fans because the three 140mm Scythe fans are quieter and I found them available at an alternative retailer, but I am listing them both just in case. Also, in case you ask why I am asking for advice now, it is because I could not get input on suggestions and recommendations on my whole build parts selection before I placed the order on Black Friday.

I would appreciate the input on my selections.

Thanks.

Solution
Thanks. I wouldn't use three different brands of fans either lol. The 200mm Cooler Master was the quietest fan I could find for that size. I plan to return the 140mm Enermax fans because they aren't as quiet as the 140 mm Scythe fans according to the specs. I bought the Enermaxes initially when I couldn't find the Scythes but then I found another retailer had the Scythes so I plan to return the Enermaxes.
Sounds like a pretty good setup to me. If you don't care so much about aesthetics, I will forever recommend Noctua fans, even with their beige color, as they come in both sizes and are a fantastic balance of performance and low noise. Good luck with your build!

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
Thanks. I wouldn't use three different brands of fans either lol. The 200mm Cooler Master was the quietest fan I could find for that size. I plan to return the 140mm Enermax fans because they aren't as quiet as the 140 mm Scythe fans according to the specs. I bought the Enermaxes initially when I couldn't find the Scythes but then I found another retailer had the Scythes so I plan to return the Enermaxes.

Nov 27, 2020
Sounds like a pretty good setup to me. If you don't care so much about aesthetics, I will forever recommend Noctua fans, even with their beige color, as they come in both sizes and are a fantastic balance of performance and low noise. Good luck with your build!

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Quiet isn't everything here. You can have low noise(dBA) fans and still be disrupted by them because you're sensitive to the frequency(KH) of the fan motor.
Everyone has different frequencies that they may, or may not, be sensitive to.

Hopefully that combo of fans doesn't backfire on you.

TRENDING THREADS