Are These CPU Temps Normal??

Jul 26, 2018
So ive purchased this computer a few weeks ago. It's an older gaming computer but in good condition. However since I have purchased it, I have been monitoring its cpu temperatures and I think they are a bit hotter than they should be. Im thinking it could be due to the hot weather in London right now and the fact that my room is quite hot too.

CPU IDLE temps: 50-55 degrees Celsius
CPU Temps while gaming: 68+ to all the way 83 degrees Celsius.

Processor: i7 950 3.1GHz & stock cooler
mobo: Asus p6x58d e
RAM: 8gb ddr3 corsair xms3
antec semi modular 650w psu
gtx 750ti Palit

I have 1 intake in the front, 1 exhaust on top and another exhaust on the back, occupying all the fan slots.
I have also recently applied thermal paste.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank You

Kenton82

Reputable
I am near London too, and ambient temps in my PC room are around 26oC +. The temps you are seeing are not dangerous, but are too warm ideally. As long as you are SURE you have applied the thermal paste correctly, you could look at getting an uprated cooler. I have just purchased a new looking, but used Noctua NH-D14 air cooler for my i7 990X for £55. I have NOT overclocked yet, but i am getting 25-35oC on idle, and max average load temps on Prime 95 are 65oC This will further be improved by altering the fan speeds for the cooler. If you are not going to O/C, look at a cheaper alternative like the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, which is highly rated and you can pick them up really cheap - and still slightly O/C - or the arctic freezer pro rev.2 which i had previously and does an ok job.

all the best. K

Given that it's the stock cooler and London is having a huge heat wave at the moment, your temps seem about okay.
Check that the PC is free of any dust, so look at fan filters, heat-sinks etc.
You could try re-applying the thermal paste with something good like MX-4 (as mentioned above).
Clean the CPU with rubbing alcohol first and a lint-free cloth.
Don't add too much paste... spread it thinly and all over the CPU using a bit of Sellotape stuck to your finger tip.
Maybe turn up the speed of the case fans if you can.

Jul 26, 2018
Thank you so much for your help everyone, I do have a Coolermaster tx3 evo that I pulled out from an old build, so would it be okay for me to use that one?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah that would be much better than the stock cooler. Make sure you clean off all the old thermal paste and apply new when you fit it.

Jul 26, 2018
So I have installed the new CPU cooler, however, there has not been a noticeable improvement, I assume it is simply due to the heatwave we are currently experiencing. I have changed the location of the computer which doesn't seem to help either.

Jul 26, 2018
So the thermal paste was delivered to me and I applied it. I must say, the thermal paste is amazing, idle went down to 45 degrees avg and while gaming it was 69-70 degrees. Also the weather is now really cold which is also a controbuting factor.

TRENDING THREADS