Question Are these DDR5 RAM timings for AMD negligible?

BottleRedNeck

Prominent
Feb 19, 2022
I've bought the 7800 X3D and I'm stuck between a set of memory sticks.
The first one is the G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 64 GB 6000MHz which is at CL30-40-40-96. However, the 32GB version is CL30-38-38-96, and another set of Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 6000MHz is at CL30-36-36-76.

Why do timings get slower with bigger ram capacity? Secondly, it it worth it to spend an extra 40 bucks to buy two 32GB kits with faster timings than the 64GB one with 96 TRAS?

I know the new AM5 Ryzen CPUs like faster timings, but do the numbers other than the CL matter that much? I would think that it matters a lot as the TRAS defines how long an entire operation will take at minimum

Solution
1) Larger memory capacity means more binning with lower volume, so to get working pairs they will loosen the timings
1a) Same reason that extreme speeds cost more money, there is less of it to go around
2) No, mixing two identical kits doesn't always work, not to mention both Intel and Ryzen are known to have difficulties running 4 sticks at XMP / EXPO
3) Yes, the sub timings matter. Bandwidth and first word latency are the most important though.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
1) Larger memory capacity means more binning with lower volume, so to get working pairs they will loosen the timings
1a) Same reason that extreme speeds cost more money, there is less of it to go around
2) No, mixing two identical kits doesn't always work, not to mention both Intel and Ryzen are known to have difficulties running 4 sticks at XMP / EXPO
3) Yes, the sub timings matter. Bandwidth and first word latency are the most important though.

Reactions: BottleRedNeck
Solution