Are these high temps crashing my game?

Abbas_Dhd

Reputable
Dec 17, 2016
Hello there,
I'm facing game crash since a month now. So far I've tried installing latest drivers with ddu. Contacted support team but nothing is working..
I thought it was gpu at first but superposition runs perfectly without any crash.
I've tried 2 games fortnite and far cry 5 and they both crash in pretty much the same way.

Screen is stuck with sound still on. And whole pc gets stuck nothing works not even keyboard.

Fortnite sometimes shows unreal crash report screen

I've noticed using msi afterburner that the temps of my cpu are 99-98 which I think are really high.
And now I think these temps might be thea reason for crashing.
Please help me out.

My specs
Xeon x3460
Ddr3 ram 4g + 2g 1333
Asus dual Rx 480 4G (white).

Solution
Well yeah, the CPU temps are likely causing it. It is probably throttling at those temps reducing clocks thus reducing performance as well.

As for why it overheating, could be many different reasons. The heatsink is caked with dust, the heatsink is not mounted properly, or the thermal paste has dried up completely would probably be the most likely causes.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well yeah, the CPU temps are likely causing it. It is probably throttling at those temps reducing clocks thus reducing performance as well.

As for why it overheating, could be many different reasons. The heatsink is caked with dust, the heatsink is not mounted properly, or the thermal paste has dried up completely would probably be the most likely causes.

Solution
Sep 29, 2018
What CPU cooler are you using, because if the CPU is suddenly overloaded with heat (95-100+) it was throttle down to protect itself from damage. This will cause it to not be able to render the game anymore, hence the freezing.