[SOLVED] Are these normal PSU voltage readings?

Jul 19, 2019
Hello there!
So, I was checking out my old PC in these last few days and I just saw this in HWMonitor...
I've been getting random freezes so I'm kinda curious if my PSU is faulty or not. Its a sh!tty PSU btw, I don't have any valuable components on this PC. (Intel E5200, Intel G33/G31 xD)
+3.3V = 3.4V
+5V = 5.11V
+12V = 8.029V (?)
Thanks brothers.

Solution
HWMonitor is well-known for giving false voltage readings, it's doubtful the PC would even boot if the +12v rail really was only 8v

Check voltages in BIOS or get PSU tested with a Multimeter.

Incidentally, you shouldn't be using a s****y PSU anyhow, regardless of what the voltage readings are.
HWMonitor is well-known for giving false voltage readings, it's doubtful the PC would even boot if the +12v rail really was only 8v

Incidentally, you shouldn't be using a s****y PSU anyhow, regardless of what the voltage readings are.

Reactions: CrazyJack
Solution
Jul 19, 2019
As you suspect the 12V reading is a bit low. Ideally should be within 10% of 12V.

Thanks for your replies!
I just checked them in BIOS, it shows 12.3V, so I guess HWMonitor's readings are messed up.
(I was not into PCs back in then so I was like, "Give me the cheapest one!" while buying this PSU. So that's how I ended up with this power supply. :D)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bios is very, and I mean Very, rarely wrong on any sensor reading.
Software, on the other hand, is always suspect and should be verified, either physically with a multimeter or via bios.

Evga 550w G2. Bios 12.28v. Multimeter 12.32v. Msi control center 10.3v. SpeedFan 8.3v. Hwmonitor 8.3v. HWInfo 10.3v. Aida64 10.3v.

Every other voltage rail, accurate

Software seriously does not like my 12v rail.

Reactions: CrazyJack