[SOLVED] Are these numbers safe for R5 2600?

Nov 20, 2018
Hi, so I'm pretty new to Overclocking and especially overclocking AMD CPU's. So my setup is sub optimal at best.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4,1Ghz.

MB: Asrock B450 Pro4 (Main culprit)

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) @ 3200Mhz

The problem I'm having is that the Mobo I'm using has no way to control LLC so I'm having issues finding stable OC setup for my 2600.

Currently I've found the most stable setup (That I'm running right now) is 4,1Ghz @ 1.4V which according to HWmonitor equal to 1.409V when idling (Idle Temp. 30C) and the voltage droops down to 1.360V when doing P95 Small FFT's (Load Temp. 68C max).

I was just wondering if these numbers are safe, since the idle Voltage is sitting at pretty high, but I can't lower it because droop will then drop down my voltage to under 1.360, which seems to be the stable point of my 2600 @ 4.1Ghz.

4.0Ghz required almost the same amount of Voltage to be stable. (Like 1.355V under load or something) so It's not really any better.

Also just played few rounds of BfV and my CPU Temps never went past 55 and CPU Vcore was at avarage of 1.378V + Lowest was 1.337V but I think that's a glitch/outlier. I remember it running at around 1.37V when playing.

Thanks!

Solution

1.409 sounds about right for 4.1Ghz.

AMD has stated that 1.425 is safe for sustained long term and around 1.45 that it will potentially affect processor life. Also, when your processor is lightly loaded the effect is much less than when it's heavily load and that's when you're seeing voltages under 1.35.

If you can read voltage with HWInfo, look for a CPU VCore (STI2 TFN). That's the TRUE voltage the CPU is seeing inside, at the core, as reported by telemetry. It should be even lower.

Have you stress tested the system at 4.1Ghz with Prime95 or something similar? That will tell you if temperature is staying good.

Solution
Nov 20, 2018

Yeah, when running P95 Small FFT's I maxed out at 68C and when gaming I run around at 50-55C, that's with Corsair Hydro H100i Pro cooling solution, so I think I'll stay at that.

I'll probably just push and test at how much voltage I need to run 4,2Ghz stable. Not to run it day to day, but rather just feed my curiosity :)

Thanks!