[SOLVED] Are these parts compatible?

Jun 3, 2020
Hello!

I upgraded my PC earlier this year (thread). My 7yr old motherboard's onboard audio no longer lets me output audio which prevents me from taking meetings on my desktop. I was recommended to replace my CPU and motherboard

Hardware Experience: 2/100
Computer:
ASUS CM6870 with upgraded storage, GPU and PSU.
Goal: Replace CPU, Motherboard and RAM
Questions:
  1. What CPU, Motherboard and RAM should I get?
    1. Below are the upgrades I'm looking at but I'm unsure about everything's compatibility
  2. For the Motherboard can I choose between ATX or MicroATX?
    1. My PSU says ATX but does that make it not compatible with MicroATX? I understand Micro is smaller and allows only 1GPU which is fine cause I only plan on using 1
Below are the upgrades I am currently looking at

PartsCurrentUpgrade
CPU3rd Gen Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3401Mhrz 4 Cores, 8 Logical processorsAMD Ryzen 5 5600X
MotherboardASUS P8H77-M PROMSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4
RAM16GB - 4x DIMM (ASint DDRIII 4GB-1600)Not sure what to get for RAM
GPUNVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 SUPERNot upgrading
Storage-Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA 2.5" Internal SSD (MZ-76E1T0/AM)
-Seagate 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
Not upgrading
PSUDark Power Pro 10 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Not upgrading

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
Solution
Motherboard is fine. You just have to make sure that your PC case supports the mounting for mITX boards (pc cases come with predrilled holes for different mother board sizes). Check your case model and make sure it's listed. You want to make sure it has enough Fan headers, and other connectivity slots for your liking. This particular motherboard seems to be a pretty decent overall performance to budget. Budget boards generally have lower OC expectancy/performance.

a good 3200mhz ram kit should do you well from what I know

PSU will be okay
Motherboard is fine. You just have to make sure that your PC case supports the mounting for mITX boards (pc cases come with predrilled holes for different mother board sizes). Check your case model and make sure it's listed. You want to make sure it has enough Fan headers, and other connectivity slots for your liking. This particular motherboard seems to be a pretty decent overall performance to budget. Budget boards generally have lower OC expectancy/performance.

a good 3200mhz ram kit should do you well from what I know

PSU will be okay

Solution