Question Are these PC temps safe with Overwatch 2?

StephenB95

Reputable
May 2, 2020
So basically i went through a lot of different settings, etc and played the game and recorded the temps, etc.. and just want to know from more experienced people if running the game at these settings are safe?
So i played FIFA 23 for an hour and started heard the Overwatch 2 servers were working, So straight away for the first time, started the game without letting the PC cool off.
These are the temps my CPU spiked to for the first time start up of the game. Funny enough, after this first launch, the CPU spikes never happened again, so this seems to be a one off.

So basically i went through a lot of different settings, etc and played the game and recorded the temps, etc.. and just want to know from more experienced people if running the game at these settings are safe?
So i played FIFA 23 for an hour and started heard the Overwatch 2 servers were working, So straight away for the first time, started the game without letting the PC cool off.
These are the temps my CPU spiked to for the first time start up of the game. Funny enough, after this first launch, the CPU spikes never happened again, so this seems to be a one off.

One core hit 79c.
__
So for my first test, I put the game on Epic settings, 4k resolution, and capped the FPS to about 300.

From playing the GPU temp was an average 73/76c at around 65% fan speed.
CPU around 48c to 58c.
But as you can see in HWMonitor the CPU, spiked to about 73c, funny thing is, I never saw it spike that high in MSI afterburner overlay, highest i saw it hit, was about 65c if i recall correctly.
AIO Coolant: 29/32c
_
Next i tested 1080p Epic settings. 300 fps...

Average CPU temp was low 50's to 62c. Average GPU temp 69c/71c.
As you see HWmonitor says the highest spike of the CPU was 79c. But in game, never saw it spike past 68c at max.

AIO Coolant: 29/31C
____
Next tried 1440p/2k high settings at 300 fps.

In game temps
Average CPU temp was 55 to 64c. GPU 69c. As you can see the CPU spike was 75c.
AIO Coolant temp: 28/30c.
____
Then I used everything i learned and picked the best overall settings for temps/visual.
2K, high settings, locked to 144fps.
Average CPU temps 47c to 55c, GPU temps 55c/60c. Highest spike 65c for the CPU.
AIO Coolant temp: 25/28c.

So Are these CPU temps safe?
Are the high 70' CPU temp spikes safe?
These Coolant temps safe?
Lets say after 5 hours of gaming, the average temps might not change much, but lets say that because of one core hit 79c, what happens over 5 hours of heat, and it gets the odd spike of 80/81c could this cause damage to the CPU from those odd spikes?
I'm probably gonna stick with the last settings, maybe even switch the 2k to 4k.
Also keep in mind, i had fire fox opened in the background, game bar, and used it to record a few clips of game-play, also had steam, ea play, battle launcher, discord, xbox app, msi after burner, and precision x1.

My specs are
High performance plan.
i9 9900KS @ 5ghz
32gbs of 3200mhz ram.
EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Also how are you finding Overwatch 2?

I prefer low temps myself but those seem pretty ok for a 9900KS running at 5Ghz on a 280mm AIO. Generally lower temperatures will lead to a longer lifespan, but 80C is not nearly high enough to cause instant damage to the CPU. High end CPU's running at 80C has become par for the course these days.