Question Are these speeds permanent?

Jun 22, 2019
I recently attempted overclocking my AMD Ryzen 2600 CPU. After watching a few videos, they all seemed to start out their overclocks at 4.0 Ghz. I Already had DOCP enabled (XMP on Asus), and have a Arctic 34 Esports Duo, which seems to be a pretty good air cooler. Once I set the clock speeds to 4.0 GHZ, I saved and restarted my machine to make sure everything worked. Although the CPU speeds stayed the same, my ram went back down to 2133 mhz (I have 3200 mhz ram). I reset my CPU overclock to try and get the ram speeds back up, but they still stayed at 2133 mhz. Could anyone help me with this issue?

Jun 22, 2019
It would help to determine Bios settings if you list your full system specs including your MB and Part No of your RAM.
What does the system do at Bios default settings?
Did you conduct a stress test at default?
Is your Bios up to date?
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro
Ram: G Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB, 3200 MHZ
I believe the Part No is F4-3200C16D-16GVGB

I did not conduct a stress test at default and I am having troubles updating my bios right now. I have it downloaded to a .CAP file but I don't know how to install it.

Your Bios is best updated using EZ Flash 3 utility, Using an empty single partition USB stick and formatted to FAT32.
Your Bios file needs to be renamed to PX470P.CAP and instructions are on page 3-22 in your MB manual.
Latest Bios is 5007 (important for new RAM kit releases)
Your GVGB variant Ripjaws are not listed on the MB QVL so have not been tested however they should work with correct Bios settings. Probably because the QVL has not been recently updated.

Don't concern yourself if your RAM default to a lower than rated frequency atm. That will be because 3200MHz RAM are OC RAM and will require manual settings for SPD Timings and voltage.
If the system boots at default then conduct a stress test to obtain a base line for when you Overclock and also to establish stability.
Best stress package to use is AIDA64. If not sure how to use it then better explanations will be given.

Establish stability and we can move on and please list your cooling system and PSU

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019
Your Bios is best updated using EZ Flash 3 utility, Using an empty single partition USB stick and formatted to FAT32.
Your Bios file needs to be renamed to PX470P.CAP and instructions are on page 3-22 in your MB manual.
Latest Bios is 5007 (important for new RAM kit releases)
Your GVGB variant Ripjaws are not listed on the MB QVL so have not been tested however they should work with correct Bios settings. Probably because the QVL has not been recently updated.

Don't concern yourself if your RAM default to a lower than rated frequency atm. That will be because 3200MHz RAM are OC RAM and will require manual settings for SPD Timings and voltage.
If the system boots at default then conduct a stress test to obtain a base line for when you Overclock and also to establish stability.
Best stress package to use is AIDA64. If not sure how to use it then better explanations will be given.

Establish stability and we can move on and please list your cooling system and PSU

Just downloaded the current bios and set everything to default in the bios. The system booted and Aida 64 is now running a stress test, that I will probably let run for 8 hours, unless that is bad (things online said to leave it for between 6-12 hours). I have the Nzxt H500 case, Arctic 34 Esports Duo CPU cooler, and the 2 stock fans one in the back and one on top; however, no additional at the front for intake. My power supply is the Corsair CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze power supply.

No need to run AIDA64 for that long, 10mins is enough for now.
I want to see your Voltages on the 12vRail and temperatures under load.
They can be got from AIDA64 or more accurately from HWInfo64.
I usually have them setup side by side. Take screenies at the 10min mark and upload the images to IMGUR then provide the BB URL as a link to your images.

Your info tells me your 12V rail is below spec and will cause issues at higher Overclocks so bear that in mind. More accurate temperature readings at T-DIE can be got from HWInfo64 however, I have enough info for some recommendations.
Your going to be limited with your OC. An improvement in case fans will help so install 2 x 140mm or more fans to the front and rear to help air flow. If your serious about overclocking then AIO water cooling is your next step.
Go into Bios >AI Tweaker menu and set for manual mode. (not sure what settings will allow OCs with your MB however you should have access to VDDCR Voltage so set that to 1.375V.
Using your multiplier, set for 3.8MHz first then 4.00GHz and stress test. report your results.
Lets see if your system can handle that under load then we will concentrate on your RAM.

Jun 22, 2019
Your info tells me your 12V rail is below spec and will cause issues at higher Overclocks so bear that in mind. More accurate temperature readings at T-DIE can be got from HWInfo64 however, I have enough info for some recommendations.
Your going to be limited with your OC. An improvement in case fans will help so install 2 x 140mm or more fans to the front and rear to help air flow. If your serious about overclocking then AIO water cooling is your next step.
Go into Bios >AI Tweaker menu and set for manual mode. (not sure what settings will allow OCs with your MB however you should have access to VDDCR Voltage so set that to 1.375V.
Using your multiplier, set for 3.8MHz first then 4.00GHz and stress test. report your results.
Lets see if your system can handle that under load then we will concentrate on your RAM.

Just finished 3.8 GHZ overclock. Moving onto 4 GHZ now. Did the test for 10 mins. View: https://imgur.com/a/U5axl8g

Jun 22, 2019
Just finished 4.0 Ghz. I noticed with the HWInfo Analytics that the Physical Memory Load was in red, which could be the reason my system runs it below speed? View: https://imgur.com/wSiznUK

OK 3.8GHz is holding however run test for 20mins. Your close to MAX core temp before it fails or throttles. You will be lucky to get 4.0GHz without further cooling.

Go into your Bios and obtain your RAMs SPD from the tools menu. you can also get the info from CPUz in windows.
Note your primary timings then go to DRAM timing control and set your primary timings and voltage as per SPD. Set frequency to 3200MHz.
Look for Dram_voltage and set for 1.3V. and stress the system.
F10 to save and exit. cross fingers.

Jun 22, 2019
OK 3.8GHz is holding however run test for 20mins. Your close to MAX core temp before it fails or throttles. You will be lucky to get 4.0GHz without further cooling.

Go into your Bios and obtain your RAMs SPD from the tools menu. you can also get the info from CPUz in windows.
Note your primary timings then go to DRAM timing control and set your primary timings and voltage as per SPD. Set frequency to 3200MHz.
Look for Dram_voltage and set for 1.3V. and stress the system.
F10 to save and exit. cross fingers.
I believe we are fixed...I think. Here are the 20 minute results with the 3.8 Ghz overclock and custom ram speeds. View: https://imgur.com/a/0bNHd2P
.On CPU-Z, it says my memory is running at 1596.2 Mhz, which I believe is 3200, but I am not totally positive. Thank you for all of your help through this process. This is my first PC build and subsequently my first time overclocking.

Jun 22, 2019
I just checked my bios and it states we are still running at 2133 mhz and the target speed is 3200, but on CPU-Z it says 1596.2 Mhz. Which is the correct reading of my memory speed?

Well done and you didn't roll your boat. HaHa.
If your RAM becomes unstable then up your SOC voltage to 1.2V max which will help stabilize your RAM.
AIDA64 is strenuous on your system and you probably won't encounter such a load in real world.

You should test your system with Realbench which is a real world tester and arguably the best for stability.
If you can pass the realbench stress test then you are 24/7 stable

BTW: The physical memory load at 95% would be due to you having the Dram test check box ticked in AIDA64 during the stress test.

You should RMA your PSU as it is under spec assuming it's still under Warranty.
Also save a profile in Bios in case things go belly up.

Last edited: