[SOLVED] Are these symptoms of not enough power for my system?

Legitlyandrew

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
I recently built a system that has a 3600+5700xt with 6 rgb fans, rgb ram, 1 m.2 , 1 ssd, and 1 hdd on a 500W psu unit I migrated from my last built.
It was fine until I started plugging in certain peripherals, my newest addition being the fiio e10k+dt 990 pros
was wondering if these were symptoms of not enough power for my pc as I remember my friend saying while back his psu would shut off on his prebuilt because he tried charging his phone or whatever.

1. (hangs?) first one program would freeze, then everything would freeze but I'd still be able to move my mouse around.
  2. sometimes I'd launch my pc and there would be a noticeable FPS loss of 50% in games and I can only fix this by restarting my pc.
  3. certain peripherals my mic most of the time and a error saying "not enough resources" would pop up randomly, without me touching anything on the USB headers.
and this just happened but 4. my pc turned off completely while I was playing a game, and the ram lights were still on and any long/short press of the power button on my case was useless, I had to manually shut off the PSU and it turned on like normal.

According to PC part picker though my system uses 414W and I use the auto underclock option in radeon/ gaming mode in ryzen master, is it possible that with the peripherals in my system my pc is going over the 500W causing instability?? I know my headphones need 250OHMs to power them but I'm sure thats not alot in W, but plugging in the amp and headphones to my system has been kinda sketch and I've only got my headphones 4 days ago.

parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6DKwb8

Last edited:
Solution
I thought the BR was actually pretty decent, or was that the BQ. There was one I remember reading one that was better than the average B series.

But either way, spend C$3k on a pc and powered it with a $30 psu.

I'd start by making sure of 2 things. First, you have a Ryzen, update the bios. 2nd, make sure you have all the motherboard (not just the gpu) drivers from MSI (you don't need Dragon Center, but it can be useful). Audio and Lan are prime targets for Windows drivers to try and set priorities, which while good for Windows, can suck for periphials and create issues. Freezes, ctd, pauses, all common issues.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I thought the BR was actually pretty decent, or was that the BQ. There was one I remember reading one that was better than the average B series.

But either way, spend C$3k on a pc and powered it with a $30 psu.

I'd start by making sure of 2 things. First, you have a Ryzen, update the bios. 2nd, make sure you have all the motherboard (not just the gpu) drivers from MSI (you don't need Dragon Center, but it can be useful). Audio and Lan are prime targets for Windows drivers to try and set priorities, which while good for Windows, can suck for periphials and create issues. Freezes, ctd, pauses, all common issues.

Solution
Thanks Jon for that. 😁

Too many models, too much varience, too much 'buy me I'm the best!' advertising....

I agree and EVGA are the worst for keep releasing different bronze models all with different oem's.

That said I don't think ANY 500w psu is quite enough for a 5700xt, a minimum 550w dc-dc model is bare minimum imo.

I'm running one on a cxm550 and I still have my doubts about it even though I know its 'enough'.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well the BR is dc-dc, "for rock-solid power stability and minimal signal noise" (eh? Just on the 3.3v and 5v rails?) and a full 500w @ 12v. Industrial Tested at 30°C 👍. With a long life sleeve bearing fan (horizontal mounted, duh). Don't forget it hardwired for that 'plug in and go' experience. And it's 85% Bronze rated just so you don't waste energy that's converted to heat!

A candy coated piece of (not mod edited) is still going to taste like (not mod edited) once you get past the outer layer.

Reactions: madmatt30