[SOLVED] Are these temperatures high? + did I mount my fans right

Aug 13, 2019
Hi

I have an i7-4790k, I got myself a Hyper 212 radiator, and 5 case fans

When I run OCCT test for an unknown reason clocks go down to 3990MHz instead of using turbo boost therefore I can't see where my CPU's temps can really get to

but still, even without turbo boost HWMonitor showed me that one of the cores got to 81 degrees(76 degrees average) for a moment, while 4th core was around 65 most of the time

first question, are these temps too high? Especially considering the amout of fans I've got

Second, did I mount my fans right? I noticed that 2 fans on top of case, and one at the top of the back of my case, which were supposed to take hot air out, are actually blowing pretty cool wind, the air they blow certainly isn't over 40 degrees, I'd say it's more like 20

one fan is at the bottom of case taking cold air in, and last one is at the bottom front taking air in and blowing it at my SSD at the moment because I don't have a way too mount in in an actually drive slot

Solution
You are wrong on both counts. You have 2 fans set in the rear/top that actually are of any use. Tie those together so they operate like a single unit by a 2way splitter. You have a front/bottom intake, tie those together with a 2way splitter so they act as a single unit. Get rid of the fan on top/front as it's basically stealing air from the cpu cooler fan and not doing anything healthy.

Fans don't need to be running at full speed to work, most fans operate at @ 40% - 60% most of the time, so while 800rpm may not seem a lot, it's still a healthy speed, even if it is on a semi useless fan position.

Turn the heatsink fan over, take a look inside, you'll find 4 mounting screws on that clip bracket, take those screws out and you can...
Turbo boost applies to one core if the workload and temperatures permit.
You will not get max boost on all cores.
To go faster on all cores, you need to overclock by setting the all core multiplier higher than 40
Your temperatures are fine.
The processor will monitor temperatures and will slow down the processor or even shut it down if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

What is the make/model of your case, and how are your fans mounted?
If possible, I would want to see two 120/140mm front intakes and a 120mm rear/top exhaust.

What is your idle temperature?
You should see 10-15c. over ambient at idle if your hyper 212 is mounted well.

Aug 13, 2019
Turbo boost applies to one core if the workload and temperatures permit.
You will not get max boost on all cores.
To go faster on all cores, you need to overclock by setting the all core multiplier higher than 40
Your temperatures are fine.
The processor will monitor temperatures and will slow down the processor or even shut it down if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

What is the make/model of your case, and how are your fans mounted?
If possible, I would want to see two 120/140mm front intakes and a 120mm rear/top exhaust.

What is your idle temperature?
You should see 10-15c. over ambient at idle if your hyper 212 is mounted well.
My case: https://www.komputronik.pl/product/138345/modecom-viper-black-with-blue-led-fan-bez-zasilacza.html

idle temps are 30-40c

and that's how my fans are: View: https://imgur.com/6dovRU3

fan above radiator is connected to CPU_OPT and it often doesn't run even at lowest speed , when it does, I believe it's going at around 800 RPM at best, and I don't know why

Edit: All case fans are 120mm

Edit 2: As you can see inflow from front fan is blocked by my SSD for now, I'll soon mount it in an actual slot

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
your fresh air come from front so you recirculating hot air in from cpu gan thsi way and yes it should blow in the fins for the botttom fans check in bios if it is a 3 pins that he is set as dc fans you could also use a y splitter for the 2 top fan on the same header and use the free fan header for the bottom one .

Aug 13, 2019
your fresh air come from front so you recirculating hot air in from cpu gan thsi way and yes it should blow in the fins for the botttom fans check in bios if it is a 3 pins that he is set as dc fans you could also use a y splitter for the 2 top fan on the same header and use the free fan header for the bottom one .
Problem is that fan connected to CPU_OPT is 4 pins and the rest, except for radiator one obviously, are 3 pins

+ all fans are working properly in theory, I even have Fan Expert app dedicated to my motherboard which automatically detected all of my fans and set them to an "optimal speed"

Your case is not a very good one from a cooling point of view.
Having intake in front and on the bottom is as good as you are going to do.
One change I would suggest is to set the hyper212 fan to push air through the radiator and out towards the back exhaust fan.

A SSD needs no cooling . perhaps a photo of how it is mounted would help.
Your cooler mount is ok given the decent idle temperatures.

As an experiment, disconnect the two top fans.
That way all of the fresh intake air will go past the graphics card and out the back.

Ultimately, I see no real problem with your temperatures.
If you want a better idea of what a good case can do, take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.

Aug 13, 2019
Your case is not a very good one from a cooling point of view.
Having intake in front and on the bottom is as good as you are going to do.
One change I would suggest is to set the hyper212 fan to push air through the radiator and out towards the back exhaust fan.

A SSD needs no cooling . perhaps a photo of how it is mounted would help.
Your cooler mount is ok given the decent idle temperatures.

As an experiment, disconnect the two top fans.
That way all of the fresh intake air will go past the graphics card and out the back.

Ultimately, I see no real problem with your temperatures.
If you want a better idea of what a good case can do, take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
How can I make hyper212 fan take air into radiator instead of pushing it out? I've already taken it off and mounted on the other side so that it can push air directly at top rear fan taking it out

As regarding SSD, as I've mentioned earlier, it is a temporary solution, it's actually holding on zip ties for now because I'm waiting for adapter bracket

Aug 13, 2019
From your diagram, the fan is mounted in the correct place.
But you need to turn the fan around so that it pushes cold air through the cooler.
If in doubt about the direction of air movement, dangle a tissue in front of a fan
I'm pretty sure that it blows air out of radiator, so when I detached it and attached on other side it started blowing air out of case.. just not through radiator because if I'd want to do that, the little plastic things attaching it to cooler would be on the opposite side

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
To start with, I'd use a couple of 2-way splitters. Both front fans connected to 1 sys_fan header, both exhaust fans connected to another sys_fan header. I'd also not bother with the exhaust up top/front, it's not doing anything any good.

As for the heatsink, there's 2 sides to every fan. The side air is sucked in, which is the pretty side, all you see is fan, and the exhaust side where you get the ugliness of the motor mounts, wires, printed spec label etc. The ugly side needs to be attached to the heatsink. That way the fan exhaust blows air through the fins. You can mount it on the back side of the heatsink, but you'd put the pretty side at the heatsink instead, so it pulls air through the fins, but it's not as effective.

This applies to any fan mounted anywhere, just because the fan is mounted in front doesn't mean it's an intake, if the fan is mounted physically backwards.

Aug 13, 2019
To start with, I'd use a couple of 2-way splitters. Both front fans connected to 1 sys_fan header, both exhaust fans connected to another sys_fan header. I'd also not bother with the exhaust up top/front, it's not doing anything any good.

As for the heatsink, there's 2 sides to every fan. The side air is sucked in, which is the pretty side, all you see is fan, and the exhaust side where you get the ugliness of the motor mounts, wires, printed spec label etc. The ugly side needs to be attached to the heatsink. That way the fan exhaust blows air through the fins. You can mount it on the back side of the heatsink, but you'd put the pretty side at the heatsink instead, so it pulls air through the fins, but it's not as effective.

This applies to any fan mounted anywhere, just because the fan is mounted in front doesn't mean it's an intake, if the fan is mounted physically backwards.
first part is kind of totally wrong, I have 3 exhaust fans, 2 at the top and one at rear top, one bottom front fan which is not doing anything atm and one at the bottom of case next to PSU taking air in

Second part.. well.. it is physically impossible to mount hyper 212 fan other way around, it has it's plastic "hand" which you clip on radiator and that's it, you can't change sides of those "hands" therefore you can't make it blow air inside -> through radiator

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are wrong on both counts. You have 2 fans set in the rear/top that actually are of any use. Tie those together so they operate like a single unit by a 2way splitter. You have a front/bottom intake, tie those together with a 2way splitter so they act as a single unit. Get rid of the fan on top/front as it's basically stealing air from the cpu cooler fan and not doing anything healthy.

Fans don't need to be running at full speed to work, most fans operate at @ 40% - 60% most of the time, so while 800rpm may not seem a lot, it's still a healthy speed, even if it is on a semi useless fan position.

Turn the heatsink fan over, take a look inside, you'll find 4 mounting screws on that clip bracket, take those screws out and you can replace/reorient the fan however you want. If you look at the backside of that 'hand', the side that clips to the heatsink, that's the side you should see the motor mounts and wires sticking out of the motor. That's the exhaust side of the fan, the side that pushes air. If you are looking at the front of the hand, the side that faces the front of the case when it's mounted on the heatsink, you should be seeing the nice side of the fan, that's the intake side which draws air in.

What you want to end up with is airflow something like this. In the bottom corner, and out the top corner.

Solution
Aug 13, 2019

Turn the heatsink fan over, take a look inside, you'll find 4 mounting screws on that clip bracket, take those screws out and you can replace/reorient the fan however you want. If you look at the backside of that 'hand', the side that clips to the heatsink, that's the side you should see the motor mounts and wires sticking out of the motor. That's the exhaust side of the fan, the side that pushes air. If you are looking at the front of the hand, the side that faces the front of the case when it's mounted on the heatsink, you should be seeing the nice side of the fan, that's the intake side which draws air in.

What you want to end up with is airflow something like this. In the bottom corner, and out the top corner.
Oh, now I started understanding english

radiator fan is already reattached to the other side so it blows air directly at top rear fan, I guess it's fine

As for all the other stuff, I'll just do it, thanks!

We may have a terminology confusion here.
To some a cpu fan is the combination of the cooler(radiator) and the rotating fan that sends cooling air through it.
To my mind, a fan is just the 120mm rotating part.

With a hyper 212, one can mount the fan on either side of the radiator part.
The fan can also be mounted in two different orientations, namely to push air through the radaiator or to pull air through.
Push orientation is more effective.

Aug 13, 2019
We may have a terminology confusion here.
To some a cpu fan is the combination of the cooler(radiator) and the rotating fan that sends cooling air through it.
To my mind, a fan is just the 120mm rotating part.

With a hyper 212, one can mount the fan on either side of the radiator part.
The fan can also be mounted in two different orientations, namely to push air through the radaiator or to pull air through.
Push orientation is more effective.
I believe that, at least in my fan, there is no way to change it to pushing orientation

I believe that, at least in my fan, there is no way to change it to pushing orientation
The default orientation of the fan on a hyper 212 should be in a push configuration.
If you dangle a tissue in front of the fan, does the airflow go towards the radiator?

In the event that the fan was defectively mounted and you need to change the orientation,
here is how:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjYrdZgx20I

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019
The default orientation of the fan on a hyper 212 should be in a push configuration.
If you dangle a tissue in front of the fan, does the airflow go towards the radiator?

In the event that the fan was defectively mounted and you need to change the orientation,
here is how:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjYrdZgx20I
Out of the box it's blowing in direction it's mounted, so if my cooler fan is facing my rear/top fan atm, it's blowing air exactly at it(if I understand correctly it's pulling air from radiator rather than pushing it through the cooler