[SOLVED] Are these temperatures odd?

Dec 9, 2019
Newbie questions. I have a corsair h115i on an intel i7 7700k (not overclocked).

In the corsair link software it has the package at around 60C give or take 5 under 50% load.

When I have a look at my h115i in iCue it has the block temp at around 30C.

I just redid the 2 year old thermal paste thinking it may change, nada.

Am I panicking over nothing or is there a problem?

Solution
I think, at two years, it's at least a very good possibility. Probably, if you noticed you were having thermal issues BEFORE you changed the paste, it's even highly likely.
What do your CPU core temps look like at idle and at full load on all cores. You will want to use Prime95 with AVX and AVX2 disabled, on Small FFT, for testing thermal compliance.

If you are below 80°C at full load on all cores, for 15 minutes, then you are fine. If not, then you are not. If you are not, then and only then does your idle temperatures become a suspect.

If you are not compliant running Prime95 Small FFT with AVX/AVX2 disabled, then I would double check your repaste and mount job. Perhaps you did not fully clean the old paste off both the CPU lid and bottom of the water block? Or maybe you used too much or too little paste. It's also possible that there is an issue with an air bubble or weak pump.

If there's an air bubble you might be able to get it to return to the radiator by tiling the case from side to side and back and forth, as far as you can get it to go without completely falling over, while it is running to try and dislodge the air bubble from the pump and get the fluid to carry it back to the radiator where it can remain without causing any trouble to the rest of the loop.

If it's a pump issue, such as a broken impeller to blade shaft or weak motor, then it will simply need replacement.

How old is this cooler? How long in service that is?

Dec 9, 2019
What do your CPU core temps look like at idle and at full load on all cores. You will want to use Prime95 with AVX and AVX2 disabled, on Small FFT, for testing thermal compliance.

If you are below 80°C at full load on all cores, for 15 minutes, then you are fine. If not, then you are not. If you are not, then and only then does your idle temperatures become a suspect.

If you are not compliant running Prime95 Small FFT with AVX/AVX2 disabled, then I would double check your repaste and mount job. Perhaps you did not fully clean the old paste off both the CPU lid and bottom of the water block? Or maybe you used too much or too little paste. It's also possible that there is an issue with an air bubble or weak pump.

If there's an air bubble you might be able to get it to return to the radiator by tiling the case from side to side and back and forth, as far as you can get it to go without completely falling over, while it is running to try and dislodge the air bubble from the pump and get the fluid to carry it back to the radiator where it can remain without causing any trouble to the rest of the loop.

If it's a pump issue, such as a broken impeller to blade shaft or weak motor, then it will simply need replacement.

How old is this cooler? How long in service that is?
Well I ran the prime95 test, temperatures went to 95C or so and stayed there.

Idle temp is around the 35C mark, again give or take a few.

Pump is around 2 years old. Cleaning off the thermal paste was fine, I've done that plenty of times before. The newbie part is the AIO, this is the first time I've had one, and this is the first time I've noticed any problems.

The thing that has me worried was the fact that the temperature of the block itself barely moves at all, while the CPU temp is sometimes double that. I only started paying attention a few days ago when the fans on the AIO started throttling up randomly out of nowhere.

95°C is too hot, especially for that cooler which is more than capable enough for your 7700k. Idle temp is ok though, surprisingly.

So that means you probably have a good mount, but probably have a weak pump, would be my guess.

Download Core Temp or HWinfo. If you use Core Temp, just install it and run your Prime test again. If the temp exceeds 85°C just stop the test because after that it doesn't matter, it has failed, and testing longer isn't going to help.

If you use HWinfo, which is recommended, even beyond ANY other monitoring utility due to it's reliability and accuracy, then you will want to install it and then choose the "Sensors only" option when you run it for the first time. Uncheck the option for "Summary".

The temperature of the block is irrelevant. What matters is the core and package temperatures. That is ALL that matters really. Core temps can change INSTANTLY by 30-40°C and then go back down just as fast. Cooler temps NEVER, EVER reflect core or package temps or offer an accurate depiction of whether or not a CPU is getting hot. It doesn't work that way. There is too much surface area even when there is a problem, for the cooler to tattle on an overheating CPU.

What do you mean by "fans throttling up"?

"Throttling" means slowing down or stopping, and that would not be likely to happen under overheating conditions. Do you have an adequate fan curve configured in the AIO software? Where is your pump connected? If connected to a fan header, is that fan header set to 100% speed in the BIOS? Where are your fans connected? What kind of speed curve is set for those?

What is your case model? Where is your radiator installed? What kind of configuration are the fans on your radiator configured for, intake or exhaust? How many other case fans do you have and where are they located and are THEY intake or exhaust?

A "big picture" explanation of your full cooling system including the AIO connections, radiator location and orientation of all fans is necessary at this point to figure out what is going on.

Dec 9, 2019
Download Core Temp or HWinfo. If you use Core Temp, just install it and run your Prime test again. If the temp exceeds 85°C just stop the test because after that it doesn't matter, it has failed, and testing longer isn't going to help.
Yeah same results again.

What do you mean by "fans throttling up"?
Sorry, I meant revving up I guess. Going to max speed and back down again every few seconds until I shut almost everything down. At the moment I'm using the stock fans that come with the h115i and using the preset settings in iCue, "Balanced" for the fans (although I threw it on to extreme for the test) and "Extreme" for the pumps.

Fans on the h115i are connected to the pump and the pump plugs into the CPU fan header, and it's set to 100%.

As for the big picture: the case is a cooler master cosmos 2 se, fans on the rad are in a pull configuration on the radiator at the top of the case exhausting air. Case fans are the 200mm fan on the front intake, 140mm rear exhaust and two 120mm fans on the side intake blowing onto the GPU.

Based on your last post I'm inclined to think the pump has shat the bed, because for two years now everything in the case has been that way with no problems now. I've been doing some checking and I'm seeing some info about the pumps in those h115i models (from 2017 so its different than the current h115i being sold) failing.

TRENDING THREADS