Are these temperatures to be expected running IBT?

hovendal

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Dear gurus

I'm trying out some OC'ing of my (old) 4670K (3.4GHz). I used Gigabyte's EasyTune (which comes with mobo) and selected one of the default profiles - medium - which kranks my CPU up to 4.2GHz.

I then ran IBT for 10 rounds and results look great. I'm however very inexperienced in OC and not sure what to expect from CPU temperatures during the runs.

My CPU is cooled using Corsair H110i liquid cooling system. The 4 core's temperatures ranged from ~30 to 95-100 (celcius) (two cores hit 100, one hit 99 and one 95). The package hit 100 as well. Is this normal/to be expected?

Also. My H110i never reached higher temp than 35 degrees celcius - are temperature spikes not to be expected here, or would that require a longer test period? (IBT ran for a total of ~90 seconds). Would it be adviseable to run a longer test?

Thanks a bundle in advance for everything! :)

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
90-100C is very high. The cpu has reached it's thermal limit and clocked down at that time. I would increase your fan speeds or reapply your thermal paste on the cpu. It should not be that hot with that cooler.

hovendal

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010

Ok. Maxing out fan speed on H110i keeps coolant very low but CPU still maxes out at ~95. I will clock it back down until I get my hands on some new Thermal Paste and reapply :)
Thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would not use any of the presets without verifying what it is doing.

The common mistake motherboards from that time make is applying way too much core voltage. This ensures their preset will work, but at the cost of very high temperatures.

Normal everyday core voltage on a Haswell CPU should be 1.3 volts. 1.35 volts usually leads to the heating you are talking about.

If you want to aim for 4.2Ghz, then I suggest: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1722630/intel-god-quick-dirty-guide-4ghz-haswell.html