[SOLVED] Are these temps degrading my CPU?

Sep 1, 2021
I have a 5600x and I enabled PBO for it. Its at -25 all cores in the curve optimizer. After watching hwinfo for a while I've noticed sometimes the voltage on the cores spike from 0.9v to 1.4v when I do something like open a new chrome tab. It goes back down to 0.9v shortly afterwards. When I'm gaming, it usually hovers around 1.38v, and can spike to 1.44v.

Are these temps fine? I read in another thread that anything above 1.325v degrades the 5600x. Also curious if these voltage spikes on the cores whenever I do something to wake up the cpu from being idle is normal. Thanks.

Solution
Are these temps fine?
Yes.

I read in another thread that anything above 1.325v degrades the 5600x.
They have to sit there at such values for that to become a risk. If you let the cpu's voltage/frequency curve do its thing, it is safe.
Some users were degrading their chips because they locked down the voltage. When they did that, they were actually increasing the amount of current(the real killer) that would then run through the cpus.
So let the bouncing happen.

Also curious if these voltage spikes on the cores whenever I do something to wake up the cpu from being idle is normal.
T'is normal.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Are these temps fine?
Yes.

I read in another thread that anything above 1.325v degrades the 5600x.
They have to sit there at such values for that to become a risk. If you let the cpu's voltage/frequency curve do its thing, it is safe.
Some users were degrading their chips because they locked down the voltage. When they did that, they were actually increasing the amount of current(the real killer) that would then run through the cpus.

Also curious if these voltage spikes on the cores whenever I do something to wake up the cpu from being idle is normal.
T'is normal.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Solution
I have a 5600x and I enabled PBO for it. Its at -25 all cores in the curve optimizer. After watching hwinfo for a while I've noticed sometimes the voltage on the cores spike from 0.9v to 1.4v when I do something like open a new chrome tab. It goes back down to 0.9v shortly afterwards. When I'm gaming, it usually hovers around 1.38v, and can spike to 1.44v.

Are these temps fine? I read in another thread that anything above 1.325v degrades the 5600x. Also curious if these voltage spikes on the cores whenever I do something to wake up the cpu from being idle is normal. Thanks.
What are your temps?

Voltages shown look very good. It's perfectly normal for the CPU to request voltage as high as 1.5V when boosting single cores for a light process.

Sep 1, 2021
Yes.

T'is normal.
Yes.

T'is normal.
Thank you! That cleared up a lot of questions I had.

Sep 1, 2021
What are your temps?

Voltages shown look very good. It's perfectly normal for the CPU to request voltage as high as 1.5V when boosting single cores for a light process.
I'm using an aio and my temps are around 40c idle, and a max of 70c when gaming. I haven't done much stress tests or benchmarking, but on ryzen master i did the stress test and the temps did not reach 80c.

Reactions: drea.drechsler