Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Cpu temp:
40c idle
45-50c web browsing/YouTube etc
68-75c gaming

GPU temp: 35c idle
75-80c gaming

Currently I only have one case fan, an intake fan at the front. Are the temps fine or should I add more fans, maybe an exhaust fan at the back?

Cpu: i5 9400f
GPU: gtx 1660ti

Last edited:

Tanish2005

Reputable
Mar 2, 2019
This depends on your CPU and graphics card, mention your CPU and graphics you have! For Eg. I have a Core i7 4770K whose safe temps are around 73 degrees, i also have a laptop with a Core i5 5350U, a mac, whose safe temps are 105 degrees celcius!, Same applies for graphics, if its over heating then:
1.Change the thermal paste
Helped me ALOT of times
2.If under warrenty (If bought by some company)
Get it checked!
3.Get more fans
Usually dosent help the cpu much but the graphics card is helped a bit by some extent
4.Get a fan controller
5.Clean the fan and the whole system
Helped me alot!

:D

Batman1121

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
I a
This depends on your CPU and graphics card, mention your CPU and graphics you have! For Eg. I have a Core i7 4770K whose safe temps are around 73 degrees, i also have a laptop with a Core i5 5350U, a mac, whose safe temps are 105 degrees celcius!, Same applies for graphics, if its over heating then:
1.Change the thermal paste
Helped me ALOT of times
2.If under warrenty (If bought by some company)
Get it checked!
3.Get more fans
Usually dosent help the cpu much but the graphics card is helped a bit by some extent
4.Get a fan controller
5.Clean the fan and the whole system
Helped me alot!

:D
I edited it in. Thanks

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I have never had to replace thermal paste on any cooler I've ever owned. If you use a good paste, and do it right the first time, the paste will outlive the pc. About the only common usage paste that ever needs replacing is Arctic Silver 5, because after it's cured and hardened, even the slightest shift of the cooler will break the seal. That includes heavy vibrations from things like large fans or aio pumps.

Keeping a pc clean is important. Dirt and dust are insulators and once a blanket is applied to the cooler fins, it's going to lose efficiency, and temps rise. Especially important on blower type gpus, as they have fin channels the air runs down and small entrances. If the channel gets clogged, it's useless, no air flow.

4 fans is optimal. 2-3 intake, 1-2 exhaust. Depending on the case. The Fractal Design Meshify C is one of the best airflow cases there is. 3x 120mm intakes, 1x 120mm exhaust. The FD Define R5 is an awesome case, yet very mediocre airflow, 2x 140mm intake and 2x 140mm exhaust is good. So situation and fan size/placement is case dependent.

You can mount upto 10 pwm fans per header or 2-3 DC fans per header. So if your mobo only has 1 cpu_fan and 1 sys_fan, that's 20 possible fans total. You won't need a fan controller of any kind, that's a luxury. For 3pin DC fans, that's still 2-3 case fans and upto 10 pwm fans (pwn only on cpu_fan header), so again, no need for a controller, just a luxury.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the cooler. If you have a tower style, rear exhaust is very important, especially if it's the only exhaust. For a radial style like stock coolers, then it always made better sense to me to put it on top at the rear, as heat rises and the fan just helps, not tries to drag it sideways. If using 2x exhaust then whichever is closer, so either way is OK, either 2x top or 1x rear and 1x top.

Batman1121

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Depends on the cooler. If you have a tower style, rear exhaust is very important, especially if it's the only exhaust. For a radial style like stock coolers, then it always made better sense to me to put it on top at the rear, as heat rises and the fan just helps, not tries to drag it sideways. If using 2x exhaust then whichever is closer, so either way is OK, either 2x top or 1x rear and 1x top.
Yes I'm using the radial style stock cooler. I'll add one on the top then. Thanks

Tanish2005

Reputable
Mar 2, 2019
I have never had to replace thermal paste on any cooler I've ever owned. If you use a good paste, and do it right the first time, the paste will outlive the pc. About the only common usage paste that ever needs replacing is Arctic Silver 5, because after it's cured and hardened, even the slightest shift of the cooler will break the seal. That includes heavy vibrations from things like large fans or aio pumps.

Keeping a pc clean is important. Dirt and dust are insulators and once a blanket is applied to the cooler fins, it's going to lose efficiency, and temps rise. Especially important on blower type gpus, as they have fin channels the air runs down and small entrances. If the channel gets clogged, it's useless, no air flow.

4 fans is optimal. 2-3 intake, 1-2 exhaust. Depending on the case. The Fractal Design Meshify C is one of the best airflow cases there is. 3x 120mm intakes, 1x 120mm exhaust. The FD Define R5 is an awesome case, yet very mediocre airflow, 2x 140mm intake and 2x 140mm exhaust is good. So situation and fan size/placement is case dependent.

You can mount upto 10 pwm fans per header or 2-3 DC fans per header. So if your mobo only has 1 cpu_fan and 1 sys_fan, that's 20 possible fans total. You won't need a fan controller of any kind, that's a luxury. For 3pin DC fans, that's still 2-3 case fans and upto 10 pwm fans (pwn only on cpu_fan header), so again, no need for a controller, just a luxury.
Thermal Paste change is necessary, the life of the mx-4 is around 8 years, but other thermal pastes have a average life of 3-4 years, I have a PC with a noctua nh series (IDK which one, it was a 6 yr old build), which started to over heat more and more as time passed by, so i thought that i had to change the fan, but no, i just tried replacing the thermal paste to a new (mx-4) one.
The temps before replacing:
CPU : 90-93 degrees on load (Prime95), 68 -73 degrees Idle (i7 4770k)
After replacing:
CPU : 60-70 degrees on load (Prime95), 40-45 degrees idle
It helps ALOT in some cases, i took the temps with SpeedFan
GPU not affected as its a GTX 1050ti

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most ppl a) don't keep a pc for 8 years, software makes it obsolete and b) don't maintain the cpu cooler as well as it should be.

My 16yr old pentium 4 is sitting on Noctua NT-H1 and has since I got it, 16 years ago. With the monstrosity of a stock cooler and pulls the same temps year in- year out.

My 20yr old genuine pentium II 350 (socket 1) is still running on the Noctua NT-H1 after I replaced the stock paste 16yrs ago.

All 3 of my Athlon 64 3200+ (12yrs old) are sitting on stock coolers and haven't seen a repaste since I got them. NT-H1.

I5-3570k with Corsair H55 AIO, Noctua NT-H1 7yrs old.

I7-3770K sat for 6 years with NT-H1 until I changed coolers a few months ago.

MX-4 is a decent paste, but it's nothing to write home about, it's barely better than AS5 and better suited for gpu use than cpu usage. It's in no way a premium paste.

SpeedFan isn't all that accurate. It gets lucky once in a while, but when I've got temps of -125°C and +255°C being reported, there's an issue.