[SOLVED] Are these temps fine?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Hello! I have a 2 yr old R5 3600 and today I decided to give my temps a look. Idle is about 40- 60. I downloaded cinebench and did the Multi Core benchmark. Not even 1 minute in and it was already on 87-90c. It shows my cpu's max safe temp is 95c so I was pretty close to reaching it. The avg was 89c. I was using AMD Ryzen master since it seems more accurate than any other tool. I haven't OC'd. I also haven't reapplied thermal paste which I probably should. I'm using the stock cooler.

Solution
Hey there,

Yeah, those temps are a little on the high side, although it is getting warmer out, with spring/summer on the way. But I wouldn't see how that would have the temps as high as they are.

Generally, you want CPU temps under 80c at stress testing load. Running Prime95 for an hour or two.

Could be the paste wearing or the cooler not working correctly. Re-pasting would be a good start. You'd know right away if the temps drop down, which is highly likely.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
For reference - my son has the same CPU with the same stock cooler and it rarely goes above 65 degC. Cinebench and Prime95 it'll touch 72 max. He is using a B350 board with 2 fans intake and 2 fans out. Pretty standard. One thing that does make a difference with his system is if the RAM is run in XMP mode. CPU temps go significantly higher then.

That aside - I agree with the previous posters, it does sound like your cooler isn't doing its job. You are getting the sort of temps I would get on my 3rd Gen Ryzen system if pushing 1.4V through for an all-core O/C.
I see. I have an A320M-K which is a pretty old one. Not sure if motherboards affect temps though. I also run DOCP (XMP). But I wouldn't want to disable it.