[SOLVED] Are these temps fine?

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Hello! I have a 2 yr old R5 3600 and today I decided to give my temps a look. Idle is about 40- 60. I downloaded cinebench and did the Multi Core benchmark. Not even 1 minute in and it was already on 87-90c. It shows my cpu's max safe temp is 95c so I was pretty close to reaching it. The avg was 89c. I was using AMD Ryzen master since it seems more accurate than any other tool. I haven't OC'd. I also haven't reapplied thermal paste which I probably should. I'm using the stock cooler.

Solution
Hey there,

Yeah, those temps are a little on the high side, although it is getting warmer out, with spring/summer on the way. But I wouldn't see how that would have the temps as high as they are.

Generally, you want CPU temps under 80c at stress testing load. Running Prime95 for an hour or two.

Could be the paste wearing or the cooler not working correctly. Re-pasting would be a good start. You'd know right away if the temps drop down, which is highly likely.
Hey there,

Yeah, those temps are a little on the high side, although it is getting warmer out, with spring/summer on the way. But I wouldn't see how that would have the temps as high as they are.

Generally, you want CPU temps under 80c at stress testing load. Running Prime95 for an hour or two.

Could be the paste wearing or the cooler not working correctly. Re-pasting would be a good start. You'd know right away if the temps drop down, which is highly likely.

Reactions: Nonkii
Solution

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Hey there,

I see, thanks! What do you need for cleaning the cpu and reapplying the thermal paste?

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
I see, thanks! What do you need for cleaning the cpu and reapplying the thermal paste?

Hello! I have a 2 yr old R5 3600 and today I decided to give my temps a look. Idle is about 40- 60. I downloaded cinebench and did the Multi Core benchmark. Not even 1 minute in and it was already on 87-90c. It shows my cpu's max safe temp is 95c so I was pretty close to reaching it. The avg was 89c. I was using AMD Ryzen master since it seems more accurate than any other tool. I haven't OC'd. I also haven't reapplied thermal paste which I probably should. I'm using the stock cooler.
What cooler are you using?
How's the overall airflow in the case? How many fans are pushing and pulling?

These temperatures are "normal" if you're using the stock cooler and your case has somewhat acceptable airflow with 2 fans pushing in fresh air and 1 pulling hot air out. Cinebench is a stress test and pushes temperatures past your average load task, such as gaming or video editing. Even with a basic aftermarket cooler this is somewhat acceptable.

If you've been using the stock cooler these two years with the original thermal paste and haven't dusted off the heatsink, then you may have a dust party in there.

You need to remove the cooler and clean the thermal paste from the cooler and the CPU with rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs. Get an air compressor or a can of compressed air to blast away the dust from the cooler's heatsink. Alternatively you can wash it with some alcohol and a brush (alcohol dries faster than water). Use a brush for the fan along with some air (carefully not letting the fan spin from the air force). You can also use alcohol and swabs to clean the grime that's stuck on the blades. Reapply a rice/pea sized dot of thermal past on top of the CPU and reseat your cooler.

Check youtube videos for additional help if you're not comfortable with the task.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
What cooler are you using?
How's the overall airflow in the case? How many fans are pushing and pulling?

These temperatures are "normal" if you're using the stock cooler and your case has somewhat acceptable airflow with 2 fans pushing in fresh air and 1 pulling hot air out. Cinebench is a stress test and pushes temperatures past your average load task, such as gaming or video editing. Even with a basic aftermarket cooler this is somewhat acceptable.

If you've been using the stock cooler these two years with the original thermal paste and haven't dusted off the heatsink, then you may have a dust party in there.

You need to remove the cooler and clean the thermal paste from the cooler and the CPU with rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs. Get an air compressor or a can of compressed air to blast away the dust from the cooler's heatsink. Alternatively you can wash it with some alcohol and a brush (alcohol dries faster than water). Use a brush for the fan along with some air (carefully not letting the fan spin from the air force). You can also use alcohol and swabs to clean the grime that's stuck on the blades. Reapply a rice/pea sized dot of thermal past on top of the CPU and reseat your cooler.

Check youtube videos for additional help if you're not comfortable with the task.
Thanks a lot! I do have the stock cooler. I dust it off every 2-4 months or so but I do it more often now since I moved my pc to a dusty area in my room 3 months ago. Can it be any type of alchohol?

Edit: I do only have 2 fans but I have no clue if both are intake. One has the brand name showing and the other one is not showing.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Thanks a lot! I do have the stock cooler. I dust it off every 2-4 months or so but I do it more often now since I moved my pc to a dusty area in my room 3 months ago. Can it be any type of alchohol?

Edit: I do only have 2 fans but I have no clue if both are intake. One has the brand name showing and the other one is not showing.
Preferably 70%+ alcohol.

As for the fans: front fans are most likely pushing fresh air in and rear fans pulling out. If the fan that shows the brand is in front, then it's probably pushing air in as it should.

Edit: Friendly reminder: if you completely remove the cooler from the CPU to dust it off, it is recommended to reapply the thermal paste. If the heatsink is not too dirty, you can dust it off while seating on the CPU.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
buy the cheapie V5 vetroo if you need a cheap larger cooler should lower your temps some.

if you want more cooling get a FUMA 2
Gotcha, thank you!
Preferably 70%+ alcohol.

As for the fans: front fans are most likely pushing fresh air in and rear fans pulling out. If the fan that shows the brand is in front, then it's probably pushing air in as it should.

Edit: Friendly reminder: if you completely remove the cooler from the CPU to dust it off, it is recommended to reapply the thermal paste. If the heatsink is not too dirty, you can dust it off while seating on the CPU.
Will keep that in mind. Thanks a lot for the help!

Preferably 70%+ alcohol.

No, it needs to be 99% isopropyl alchohol. The other types have an oily residue that can get left behind on the hardware, and cause issues.

Simple paper towel will remove most of the old paste anyway.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
No, it needs to be 99% isopropyl alchohol. The other types have an oily residue that can get left behind on the hardware, and cause issues.

Simple paper towel will remove most of the old paste anyway.
70%+ has worked for me all the time without issues and this is the first time I read of alcohol leaving oily residue. If OP wants to be extra careful and get 90%+, then by all means.

Reactions: mahanddeem
Dec 15, 2020
For reference - my son has the same CPU with the same stock cooler and it rarely goes above 65 degC. Cinebench and Prime95 it'll touch 72 max. He is using a B350 board with 2 fans intake and 2 fans out. Pretty standard. One thing that does make a difference with his system is if the RAM is run in XMP mode. CPU temps go significantly higher then.

That aside - I agree with the previous posters, it does sound like your cooler isn't doing its job. You are getting the sort of temps I would get on my 3rd Gen Ryzen system if pushing 1.4V through for an all-core O/C.

70%+ has worked for me all the time without issues and this is the first time I read of alcohol leaving oily residue. If OP wants to be extra careful and get 90%+, then by all means.
Exactly here too. %70 worked well in all my applications. It was kind of hard to come by in stores few months ago due to the pandemic.

Just google it! :) Whilst the other 70% types, white spirits or rubbing alochol or whatever, they are mixed with something else. Sometimes it's water, some are oil. Water can cause corrosion if it's not cleaned up properly (completely dry). So, instead of getting rubbing alcohol or something at 5£$€, spending the extra for 99% iso which might just cost 10£$€.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Just google it! :) Whilst the other 70% types, white spirits or rubbing alochol or whatever, they are mixed with something else. Sometimes it's water, some are oil. Water can cause corrosion if it's not cleaned up properly (completely dry). So, instead of getting rubbing alcohol or something at 5£$€, spending the extra for 99% iso which might just cost 10£$€.
Just google it instead of providing a proper source? That's nice.
Alcohol mixed with oil? I guess I failed chemistry class.
Yes, water can cause corrosion, but 70% alcohol (which is mixed with water, not oil) evaporates very quickly and doesn't corrode the components of a PC just from a cleanup. You'd need to carelessly and constantly expose said components to the alcohol mix to start seeing signs of it. I suppose you've been using the wrong alcohol.

Just google it instead of providing a proper source? That's nice.
Alcohol mixed with oil? I guess I failed chemistry class.
Yes, water can cause corrosion, but 70% alcohol (which is mixed with water, not oil) evaporates very quickly and doesn't corrode the components of a PC just from a cleanup. You'd need to carelessly and constantly expose said components to the alcohol mix to start seeing signs of it. I suppose you've been using the wrong alcohol.

No, I've been using the right alcohol. ISO 99%. The point being, any ISO on the CPU will evaporate quickly, and doesn't leave a residue. Other less pure like the ones I've mentioned 'can' leave a residue. example: Methylated Spirits/White Spirits

There are lots of sources and posts which say you should use ISO 99%. Whilst I would also agree that the other types 'might' work just fine, perhaps I should have acknowledged that. But I think the better advice is to use the right stuff, where there is no ambiguity.

View: https://imgur.com/zWeATb8

An example of some recommendations. As I said, the info is out there if you want to look for it. If you choose not to hear it to suit your argument, well, good on ya!

Last edited:

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
No, I've been using the right alcohol. ISO 99%. The point being, any ISO on the CPU will evaporate quickly, and doesn't leave a residue. Other less pure like the ones I've mentioned 'can' leave a residue.

There are lots of sources and posts which say you should use ISO 99%. Whilst I would also agree that the other types 'might' work just fine, perhaps I should have acknowledged that. But I think the better advice is to use the right stuff, where there is no ambiguity.

View: https://imgur.com/zWeATb8

An example of some recommendations. As I said, the info is out there if you want to look for it. If you choose not to hear it to suit your argument, well, good on ya!
No, you got it all wrong. I agreed 99% was the best to use if the OP wanted to be extra careful, but 70%+ does really work in every and all cases I've used it with no issues, rust, corrosion or residues. You indicated alcohols might leave oily residues, but whatever you posted here and most searches you might do, do not say anything about it. It's funny how you didn't collapse the first option to read the information about 70%. "The info is out there if you want to read it. If you choose do not hear it to suit your argument, well, too bad for ya!"

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Isopropyl is just fine for thermal paste removal from chips. Though in first remove paste lumps with paper towel, toothpick etc. as much s possible. And clean remaining paste with isopropyl after.

Be very careful on paste removal around CPU edges. You certainly will not want to get paste inside CPU socket not in lump nor liquified form.

If you choose do not hear it to suit your argument, well, too bad for ya!"

:) Touche!

I think we are both on the same page here. Whilst the other options may work, the best solution is ISO 99%.

The reason I didn't collapse any other information, was pretty simple. I already know that some people choose to use other types. Whilst not necessarily the wrong thing to do, it's not exactly the right thing to do. I guess that was the main point. I may not have explained that well enough.

Funnily enough @Udyr , when you do collapse the one you mentioned, and read the first post, it says 'Wipe away most of the thermal paste that you can and then use 99% Pure IPA to clean away any residue. Avoid using rubbing alcohol, which is just 70% IPA. I like to use KimWipes as they leave very little lint. ' ;) Just sayin!

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Funnily enough @Udyr , when you do collapse the one you mentioned, and read the first post, it says 'Wipe away most of the thermal paste that you can and then use 99% Pure IPA to clean away any residue. Avoid using rubbing alcohol, which is just 70% IPA. I like to use KimWipes as they leave very little lint. ' ;) Just sayin!
"Using 99% results in quick dry times (simply blowing on it will result in relatively quick air dry), while 70% can take a little longer, though not to any substantial degree. 70% alcohol is fine. I've used it for building/rebuilding many desktops and my CPU's have been really cool. "

Sure, bud... sure.

"Using 99% results in quick dry times (simply blowing on it will result in relatively quick air dry), while 70% can take a little longer, though not to any substantial degree. 70% alcohol is fine. I've used it for building/rebuilding many desktops and my CPU's have been really cool. "

Sure, bud... sure.

Hey mate. Ah, listen. We have a difference of opinion, that's okay, that's good. Like I said I don't disagree with you necessarily. The OP has some good info and advice provided by everyone. That's the main objective.

Have a good one :)

Reactions: Udyr

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Hey mate. Ah, listen. We have a difference of opinion, that's okay, that's good. Like I said I don't disagree with you necessarily. The OP has some good info and advice provided by everyone. That's the main objective.

Have a good one :)
NO! WE DO NOT HAVE A DIFFERENCE OF OPINION!!!

Just kidding... we actually agree on 99% being the best option. Some factual differences in our arguments, but I hope the OP has actually learned something new (even while reading two crazy strangers arguing over the internet)... and of course, that his issue leaves no oily residue.

TRENDING THREADS