Question Are these temps normal??

Huntzman

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
Hi everyone, this is my first post so be gently. I have recently got into pc gaming and want to monitor my temps to avoid any future issues. I have downloaded HWMonitor and Core Temp. I have noticed that the package temp is generally a lot lower than the core temp, is that normal? Please take a look at the screen shot link for the current figures and let me know. Thanks

View: https://flic.kr/p/2gXHpMe

AMD A10 7800
8GB RAM
Cooler Master Hyper H412R 92 mm CPU Cooler
4 Case fans

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's not right at all. If temps were that low, you'd be having moisture collecting inside your PC.
Use AMD Overdrive.
It reads a little differently. Instead of current temp, it shows distance to TJ Max. You don't want to be under 10C.

Huntzman

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
hw monitor says idle temp is 54 and max temp 81. that is about 10 c to high on both min and max. 75 c on load would be ok but around 65-70 is better.

hw monitor says idle temp is 54 and max temp 81. that is about 10 c to high on both min and max. 75 c on load would be ok but around 65-70 is better.

I didnt realise it wasa the core temps i was supposed to be watching, i thought package was the overall temp to watch. ive already got an upgraded cpu fan spinning at 1240rpm according to HWMonitor, why is it getting too hot??

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ya'll need to look at the screenshot again.
In the first pic, scroll down to A10-7800, and look at the value, min, and max numbers. 16, 5, and 32C.
Then, in Core Temp, at Temperature Readings at the bottom - CPU#0 at 7C, min at 4C, and max at 32C.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My point is that NOTHING should be reading BELOW AMBIENT temps inside the case.
If it were actually that low, OP would have condensation, that creates moisture = water. Water forming on parts is bad.

from what i can see it says cores min 54 max 81 . package says 16 and 32. what you need to worry about is core temps.
That's on HWMonitor, by the way. Core Temp shows 7, 4, and 32... for CORE 0.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This is under load, browsing 4k vids and C.O.D Black Ops 2 running

View: https://flic.kr/p/2gXN3kb
Your temps are all good then.
Stick with using Overdrive for that cpu, as HWMonitor and Core Temp clearly aren't displaying the correct temps.

The ambient temps inside the case should never be reading below the ambient outside the case. Again, from my earlier post, if that were to actually happen, that would mean moisture is building inside the case with all your nice electronics...

Now, if you look at the cpu temp in HWMonitor in your newest pic, it now reads 73, 7, and 76C. If this were accurate, that means your cpu was thermal throttling, and getting cooler than the air in your room - which it should never do, unless you had it on LN2 or something.

Link to A10-7800 specs: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A10-Series A10-7800.html
The max operating temp is 71.3C. If we're to believe HWMonitor and Core Temp were accurate, then the cpu was throttling - but it actually isn't.

But yea, temps are good, don't use HWMonitor and Core Temp for this cpu, and remember that Overdrive reads 'distance to throttle temp', and not the actual temp. As long as you're over 10C under loads, it's OK.

Huntzman

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
Your temps are all good then.
Stick with using Overdrive for that cpu, as HWMonitor and Core Temp clearly aren't displaying the correct temps.

The ambient temps inside the case should never be reading below the ambient outside the case. Again, from my earlier post, if that were to actually happen, that would mean moisture is building inside the case with all your nice electronics...

Now, if you look at the cpu temp in HWMonitor in your newest pic, it now reads 73, 7, and 76C. If this were accurate, that means your cpu was thermal throttling, and getting cooler than the air in your room - which it should never do, unless you had it on LN2 or something.

Link to A10-7800 specs: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A10-Series A10-7800.html
The max operating temp is 71.3C. If we're to believe HWMonitor and Core Temp were accurate, then the cpu was throttling - but it actually isn't.

But yea, temps are good, don't use HWMonitor and Core Temp for this cpu, and remember that Overdrive reads 'distance to throttle temp', and not the actual temp. As long as you're over 10C under loads, it's OK.

Thanks for your help, Ill get rid of the other 2 programs, strange how they gave such inaccurate readings.