[SOLVED] Are these temps okay for this laptop?

graceymanor

Prominent
Jul 25, 2019
Hi, I have a nitro 5 acer laptop that is about a year year and half old.
I play a lot of games on it and that is what the laptop was bought for.Right now I know the fans need cleaning; I just don't know how to ground myself to take a part a laptop; I tried spraying compressed air into it but it doesn't help much and I have my laptop on a cooling pad; with a fan blowing at it, my room runs about 80c because I live in flordia.I have my nephew coming over on saturday to clean it out for me.

https://pastebin.com/s2XjZPjP
This is my dxdiag.

According to coretemps: my temp is running at max 85c when gaming and 43c when browsing the internet/watching videos.
and 35c-40c when idle.The 85 is what has me concerned.Are these temps okay to run for a few days like this?

Edit: I meant my room is 85F not 85c.

Last edited:
Solution
IF your nephew actually knows what they're doing, then have them take care of it (or at least help). The amount of cracking and popping involved in separating the two halves of a laptop (if that's what it comes to) is unnerving to the uninitiated.

Many laptops thermal throttle and sit around 80-85C when under heavy load like gaming. Try monitoring frequencies as the laptop heats up, especially once temps get to/above 80C

You're likely outside your warranty, so there's not much risk in reapplying thermal paste in that regard. Reapplying thermal paste is the very best chance you have at reducing temps IF*** the simpler solution of air cleaning doesn't work.
No, your room is not 80°C. That would mean it was like 176°F, and you'd be dead.

I think you need to figure out what form of measurement you're actually seeing first.

85°C is beyond the recommended specification and is probably going to get worse as time goes on.

Despite being marketed for it, laptops are not very good as gaming platforms because ALL of them, no matter WHAT they do in regard to cooling, tend to run hot and when used for extended gaming they become thermally fatigued rather quickly. Once they do, no amount of cleaning or pasting will do a damn thing to reduce temps.

I would be more worried about somebody taking apart the laptop without extensive experience in doing so than I would about being grounded.

graceymanor

Prominent
Jul 25, 2019
The tempature in my house is 85F I meant to say Fahrenheit.Not Celisus lol.Sorry
My nephew works on computers part time, so that isn't the problem.I don't even know where to begin on taking it apart.

I use coretemp. They aren't high at the moment.Core 1 is the one that gets high.

My sister says it could be because my office is in a small closest, and there isn't much ventilation.
sMCaaTw.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an ambient room temperature of only about 30°C, so not that bad really for a room. Could be much worse. Many of our members are in India where ambient temps can run as high as 115°F/46°C in their houses.

Have you run this unit for any length of time on a bed or your lap, or carpet, where there is an opportunity for the blankets, sheets, your pants, the carpet, to block off airflow to the CPU cooler fan? That is one of the most common fast track ways to create thermal damage in a laptop. They should NEVER be used without sitting on a hard, flat surface, or a cooling pad of some kind. Cooling pads aren't particularly helpful in doing anything except keeping the surface and case of the laptop cooler once thermal damage has occurred though.

graceymanor

Prominent
Jul 25, 2019
No, I don't use it on my bed at all, I have a tablet for that.I have it on a cooling pad, that raises it off the desk, but I don't know if I'm using it properly, it was a cooling pad I got for christmas, and it didn't have instructions, but I have it set on P4 and F3? Just used on my desk in my closet.I am guilty of not cleaning out the fans though...as I don't know how to take it apart.:/

IF your nephew actually knows what they're doing, then have them take care of it (or at least help). The amount of cracking and popping involved in separating the two halves of a laptop (if that's what it comes to) is unnerving to the uninitiated.

Many laptops thermal throttle and sit around 80-85C when under heavy load like gaming. Try monitoring frequencies as the laptop heats up, especially once temps get to/above 80C

You're likely outside your warranty, so there's not much risk in reapplying thermal paste in that regard. Reapplying thermal paste is the very best chance you have at reducing temps IF*** the simpler solution of air cleaning doesn't work.

Solution