Are these temps okay??

G

I just built my first computer today. It has a i5 3750k at stock clock. It is using arctic silver 5 thermal paste (Pea sized blob in center) with a hyper 212 evo...

The ASRock Extreme 6 bios was reading 40-41.5 degrees Celsius at idle...this was before Windows was installed...

I am just wondering if those temps are okay? Did I do the thermal paste wrong? Do I have a faulty CPU?

*Everything works fine, no problems yet, but the system hasn't been put under any load whatsoever, not even web browsing*

Thanks a million!

-Cale :D

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Is it hot where you live? how is your case? that would be near enough what to expect from the stock cooler, although it would be a good idea to get more readings from different programs

The temps are still safe though, no worries on that side

also i think the bios temps are at load, go into windows and check cpu usage and temps. try to keep usage under 10%

G

Yea they are safe, but I am getting a 680 and want to overclock. That temp seems really high to me...and I have a phantom 410. And I live in the Tampa area, FL

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Whats the ambient temperature of the room? The temperature seems a bit on the high side, have you got good airflow through the case? If you do and your not in a very hot room then i would hazard a guess at maybe too much thermal paste on the heatsink or not seated right, you are right about the pea size blob so it seems a bit unlikely you used too much

G

should the heatsink wiggle?? Because I couldn't figure out how to get it properly seated, so I kinda jimmied the screws into the holes.

And the room is like 70 Fahrenheit.

G

Yea I just did the conversion and it was like 110f...so not too bad. I'm gonna download core temp and see what that has to say...

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
It would be a good idea to re seat the cooler and it's a possibility you have negative pressure in your case could we get how many fans you have and what they are used for: intake,exhaust

G

1 120mm intake and 2 exhaust (120mm back, 140mm top). Plus the fan on the PSU blowing down and out of the bottom of the case.

HoboCannibaL

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
install this http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

with the 212 evo, if you don't tint the heatsink, than that can attribute to slightly higher temps because it lessens the "break in" period, you should see a 2-5c drop in a couple days.

a pea size drop is fine, but it is possible that maybe you put too much, on their site for your processor, they instruct to use the "line" method. Having a little too much WILL give you a high idle

i would install prime95 and run a stress test and see how much your temps are increasing. keep it under @70c

HoboCannibaL

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
and i definitely wouldn't even think about overclocking until you can get your temps under control. the hyper 212 evo shouldn't wiggle, it should be on there pretty solidly. check your screws to make sure they're not loose (u don't want to torque them down though) that can damage your cpu

G

the screws are almost all the way in, but the thing still wiggles a little bit. The bracket doesn't seem to want to seat into the heatsink...

G

Haven't done it yet. Have to do homework first. And it barely moves at all. Nothing like in that video...

HoboCannibaL

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
then i wouldn't worry about it, once you get done with everything you gotta do, i strongly recommend seeing what your temps get up to under stress (if they get above 75 i would stop the test).

the arctic silver 5 needs to fill the microscopic poors on the processor and heat sink to be at its standard performance (the break in period) if in two days (of using the computer) you do not see better temps....remove the heat sink, remove the thermal paste, tint your heat sink, and then reapply the thermal paste back onto the processor (arctic silver 5 website recommends the line method for your processor)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VSDkB-3st4

if you don't tint the heat sink (which is fine, i don't) it takes about two days to reach optimum cooling performance