[SOLVED] Are these the same? Will they be compatible?

BlackOrangutan

Commendable
Jan 2, 2022
I recently got a stick of ADATA ram back from RMA the model that I got is different in color and according to their part name decoder the "component config code" is not the same.
AX4U3200316G16A-SR30 Original Stick
AX4U3200716G16A-SB30 RMA Stick

So the OG stick has a component config code of 8 x 1024 and the RMA stick 8 x 2048
I'm not sure what this value means, could you tell me?

Also my main issue is, The exact RMA stick is not available for sale in my country only the OG stick is, so if I do buy another stick of the OG, will they be compatible?

Ryzen 5 2600X
Gigabyte X470 ultra gaming
Zotac 1070ti Amp Extreme
750W Antec earthwatts 80+gold

Solution
It's always a gamble. Even the same model because RAM doesn't really have "models" in the sense you're thinking. The only RAM that's guaranteed to work together is RAM that's sold together in a kit because they've been tested.

RAM of the same "model" simply means that the outside bits are the same (heat spreader, colors, aesthetics) and that the RAM itself is defective on a similar level. Nobody sets out to make 2400 MHz RAM, it's just that the RAM is too defective to be sold as 2666 MHz or 2800 MHz (etc.). RAM speed is basically an exercise in binning, similar to CPUs.

It's not like choosing to buy a Toyota Corolla vs. a Toyota Camry or a Toyota Avalon. Toyota specifically makes these cars individually. But if they were...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's always a gamble. Even the same model because RAM doesn't really have "models" in the sense you're thinking. The only RAM that's guaranteed to work together is RAM that's sold together in a kit because they've been tested.

RAM of the same "model" simply means that the outside bits are the same (heat spreader, colors, aesthetics) and that the RAM itself is defective on a similar level. Nobody sets out to make 2400 MHz RAM, it's just that the RAM is too defective to be sold as 2666 MHz or 2800 MHz (etc.). RAM speed is basically an exercise in binning, similar to CPUs.

It's not like choosing to buy a Toyota Corolla vs. a Toyota Camry or a Toyota Avalon. Toyota specifically makes these cars individually. But if they were like RAM or CPUs, Toyota Corollas would basically be Toyota Camrys that were too defective to sell as Toyota Camrys.

Now, RAM that is clocked similarly and has identical timings is likely to work together. But there's no guarantee.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackOrangutan
Solution

BlackOrangutan

Commendable
Jan 2, 2022

Wasn't aware of this, thank you.