are these ultrasharp display monitor worth the money?

syrianrue

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I'm currently thinking of either getting a 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor display for more screen space, or a smaller monitor but with ultrasharp, but are the ultrasharp display monitor really worth the money? they are extremely ridiculous ($1000+) but does anyone actually have any experience with them ? are images/videos that much clearer and sharper on these monitors?

Solution
The best value IMO is something like the Asus 27", 2560x1440 (60Hz, IPS) for roughly $500.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-pb278q

If I had a 30" screen I'd just move it further away; I also prefer 16x9 ratio as that's pretty much standard now for content. In games, at 2560x1600 you'd be losing WIDTH unless you force 2560x1440 with black bars on the top/bottom which is not desirable.

G-Sync:
I really like how G-Sync works however it's going to be a bit expensive to start at $800 apparently for the Asus model once released (2560x1440, 120Hz, non-IPS). The non-IPS screen is good for two reasons:
a) less ghosting
b) higher refresh rate:

IPS:
IPS has better colour and wider viewing angles, but more ghosting and lower refresh...

Invictus321

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
Depends what you're using it for. Ultrasharp would be worth it if you want very very accurate color reproduction in photography for example. For gaming, it's not really worth it

The best value IMO is something like the Asus 27", 2560x1440 (60Hz, IPS) for roughly $500.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-pb278q

If I had a 30" screen I'd just move it further away; I also prefer 16x9 ratio as that's pretty much standard now for content. In games, at 2560x1600 you'd be losing WIDTH unless you force 2560x1440 with black bars on the top/bottom which is not desirable.

G-Sync:
I really like how G-Sync works however it's going to be a bit expensive to start at $800 apparently for the Asus model once released (2560x1440, 120Hz, non-IPS). The non-IPS screen is good for two reasons:
a) less ghosting
b) higher refresh rate:

IPS:
IPS has better colour and wider viewing angles, but more ghosting and lower refresh rates (60Hz is typical). Due to the low refresh rate it's also not suitable for 3D. I prefer IPS overall, but hard-core gamers likely would not.

Solution

syrianrue

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
i see... so basically when it comes to monitors, there's 2 routes right?

1. gaming, which is usually the reason why people buy these more expensive monitors? for the better refresh rate, etc and the ability to handle the graphic demands without motion blurring, etc

2. normal usage, workstation, where a monitor has decent refresh rate, etc high resolution for more screen space for working... but often comes with higher response time, which is usually not a concern for non-gamers.

correct?