Are these used components good enough for today's standard?

Nov 6, 2018
Hello, all. I'm in a need of a PC for my animation studies, and I'd like some advice from people who know about computers more than I do.

I'm on a limited budget so my best option is to buy a used desktop configuration.

My question is, can these used components handle tasks such as rendering smoothly? They're ~3 years old. That's my main concern, even though they're old that much, will they still be good?

Intel Core i5, 4 x 3,4GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM (I can upgrade to 12/16GB)
ATI Radeon or Nvidia 4GB
500GB hard drive
Probably going to install Win7.

For the last year, I've been modeling on sth similar to Intel Core i3, 3,9GB RAM and an integrated graphics card. It's becoming a struggle. I would love something that could last for the next 5 years at least, is that possible?

Also... it's not like I don't plan on playing games on it. I'm not a hardcore gamer but I would like to be able to play Life is Strange games and The Sims 4, smoothly... or even Telltale games? Would I be able to do that with this configuration?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hard to say without exact models or knowing what software you use. Or a budget. Some of the low end stuff available now is pretty fast compared to older DDR3 systems, even Intel.

But if it got away with 2nd or 3rd generation integrated graphics, anything will be an improvement if it uses graphics cards for processing.

Lutfij

Titan
Your post is very vague. Mind being specific with the specs of the system you're currently working on and the specs of the system you're looking to invest in? You also need to state what the cost of that second hand system is? If it's +/- $500 then you're looking at a brand new entry level build with opportunities to upgrade as you earn money as you learn.

You also need to elaborate on what apps you're going to be using to perform your tasks. Animation can be of many forms and arenas. I'm an architect by education and I sometimes need to perform animations i.e of walkthroughs of a space/environment.

Lastly, list the specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis: