Question Are these wireless ping spikes related to the motherboard ?

Mar 16, 2024
Hey all,

So I recently upgraded most of my PC. Went from an Asus TUF x570 Wifi Plus motherboard to a
B650 Aorus Elite AX (1.2)

Unfortunately I am forced to game on wireless but I never really had problems with the old motherboard. Maybe some lag here and there but nothing crazy. However, after 'upgrading' to the B650 I have been getting constant ping spikes. I'm talking every 3-5 minutes when im gaming. Ping goes through the roof for a few seconds and then back to normal. I did some Googling and apparently the Realtek 8852CE chip has had some issues and others were having similar problems. So I followed the advice I found and tried disabling my roaming setting, downloading newer drivers because apparently the ones on the Gigabyte website werent up to date...no luck. Still getting constant ping spikes.

So I went out and bought a Nighthawk AXE3000 usb wireless adapter. $80 and according to most hands down the best one you can buy. Plugged it in, installed the driver, disabled the Realktek 8852CE chip...and I am STILL getting constant ping spikes. I'm at a complete loss and honestly getting really frustrated. As a gamer its incredibly annoying to basically have my game freeze for seconds at a time every few minutes. If anyone could help me out I would be incredibly grateful.

Thanks!

There is no magic wifi that can fix interference from your neighbors. Its like complaining about rush hour traffic when there is no way to add more road.

The wifi auto garbage related to roaming used to cause this issue. Problem is some people fixed it by turning it off and others fixed it by turning it on. Microsoft patched something that many said made it better but not perfect. Problem is they also removed the ability to really disable this feature and if you hack the registry they at some point turn it back on anyway.
The symptom though was exactly every so many minute almost down to the second you got this spikes. There has not been as much discussion of this in the last year or so maybe microsoft really fixed it.

I would do the standard try 2.4 or 5. You could also force the channel width to 20mhz. This will make things like speedtest show lower numbers but it reduces the effect of interference. Games do not care about speed they only need 1mbps. Note doing this though affects all machines in your house.

If your router is very new and supports wifi6e also you could try the 6ghz radio band. There is much more bandwidth and for a while at least there is less people using it.