Question Are those burn marks? R390x

MilesOrton

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
Basically, PC shuts down. It started a few days ago with only 3d, high demanding games but now shut downs moved even outside the games. So I am trying to narrow down who fault is it.

I opened up the graphics card and thermal paste is fine, not too much dust either but I saw some marks

See below

5QQfVjE.jpg
qpYlulu.jpg

MilesOrton

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
Not burn marks but those VRMs have gotten hot enough to discolor. Not surprising give the power the 390x consumes and the heat they create. What's the make and model of the PSU you are using?

Ah darn it, I thought that could have been my culprit.

Cooler Master MWE 750 Gold, 1-2 years old

I swapped it with older CM GX 650w but same issue. Weirdly, the older one tries to turn PC on (and fails, you get fans on for a split second before everything goes dark again) where's 750 basically leaves it off until I manually turn psu off an on

It doesn't look good, how old is it?
5 years now. Thermal paste looks pretty decent though, compared to CPU findings

MilesOrton

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
It doesn't look good, how old is it?
The MWE gold should handle the load(the old GX not so much), I'd say there is a good chance the GPU has given up.

I think GX did manage to handle the load, had it for 3-4 years until for some reason I switched to 750 while keeping spec the same.

To add more, under LinpackExtreme testing CPU reaches 100C temperature (yes, bad I know) but PC doesn't shut down there but the second I launch Apex Legends and enter full screen it shuts down