[SOLVED] Are those temps ok for 10600k?

Jan 21, 2021
Hello, I try to overclock my new Intel 10600kf for gaming/generic PC usage and managed to pass 30min of Prime95 small ffts without AVX and 1 hour of Realbench at 5ghz with 1.3 vcore and 47 ring ratio. HWinfo64 the highest core temp during prime95 test : exactly 80°C, the rest were 75°<x<80° but during Realbench highest core temp was 84°C but not for very long, most of the time core temps were in high 70s. Right now i m running Realbench 8hour stability test and temps after 4hours are the same. I would like to try 5.1ghz at 1.3v if i pass but i am a little bit concern about those temps. I know that temps under 80°C are ideal and above 85°C are not recommended but i am at the edge at the moment and dont know if i should try 5.1ghz or undervolt to 1.29v. What you suggest? Oh and i am using air cooler : Noctua NH-D15S and my room temperature is about 25°C.

Solution
You mean if i push more vcore? 5.1ghz won't make temps higher then 5ghz at the same vcore right? Sorry if it is a stupid question i m still newbie to this.

So you think i can leave 1.3v 5ghz or 5.1ghz if i add second NF-A15 fan to N15S, my temps would be safe right? Also i ve got 3 noctua 14mm case fans 2front intake and 1 rear exhaust, do you think adding 1 top rear exhaust would also be beneficial or waste of money?
I think if you leave everything the way it is its fine, a bit on the warm side. I wouldn't be pushing it any further for sure! 5ghz is plenty and you'll get the most life out of it with better cooling. Case fans really wont make much a difference as you've got the layout fine.

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
For what you are doing to it that's normal. the further you push it the hotter and hotter its gonna get. If you are worried about it, dial it back as there's going to be minimal gains from going much further.

If overclocking it to max is what you're after you need a new cooling setup plain and simple. But based on the cooler you have, maybe try some top end thermal paste and see if that will shave off a few degrees. or adding and extra fan to the cooler in a "Push-Pull" configuration for added cooling.

Jan 21, 2021
For what you are doing to it that's normal. the further you push it the hotter and hotter its gonna get. If you are worried about it, dial it back as there's going to be minimal gains from going much further.

If overclocking it to max is what you're after you need a new cooling setup plain and simple. But based on the cooler you have, maybe try some top end thermal paste and see if that will shave off a few degrees. or adding and extra fan to the cooler in a "Push-Pull" configuration for added cooling.
Thermal paste I used is Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut which is rather not bad from what i've read, i actually wanted to use extra 14mm fan on D15S but my mobo only have 1 cpu header and i wasnt sure if sticking cpu fan to sys_fan header was a good idea so i left Noctua D15S stock configuration. And Since i overclock purely for gaming, not to set a high score or something, i do care about noise level and prefer 1 fan actually.
Do you think 5ghz on 10600k is plenty enough for 1080p gaming on high settings? Is going any further really not worth it in my situation?

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Thermal paste I used is Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut which is rather not bad from what i've read, i actually wanted to use extra 14mm fan on D15S but my mobo only have 1 cpu header and i wasnt sure if sticking cpu fan to sys_fan header was a good idea so i left Noctua D15S stock configuration. And Since i overclock purely for gaming, not to set a high score or something, i do care about noise level and prefer 1 fan actually.
Do you think 5ghz on 10600k is plenty enough for 1080p gaming on high settings? Is going any further really not worth it in my situation?
That thermal paste is top shelf for sure. Adding a fan is going to be the only way to boost cooling performance, and to be honest adding one extra fan will make minimal sound difference unless you're running your system with the side off. Buy another noctua fan as they run quiet and efficient. It wont hurt putting it in the sys fan slot it will just limit the fan speed control based on temp like your normal cpu fan does. You can actually buy an adapter to run 2 fans off one plug if need be but just under-volt a bit and your temps should be fine.

The only real need to oc would be if your at 95%-100% cpu usage in games and much less in gpu then I could see the need for it as it would be a bottleneck that's holding your graphics card back but honestly it should do the trick even at like 4.8ghz!

You can check your usage by going to task manager>performance and then launch you game and alt+tab into the task manager page to view CPU/GPU/RAM usage.

hope this helps lol.

Jan 21, 2021
the further you push it the hotter and hotter its gonna get
You mean if i push more vcore? 5.1ghz won't make temps higher then 5ghz at the same vcore right? Sorry if it is a stupid question i m still newbie to this.

So you think i can leave 1.3v 5ghz or 5.1ghz if i add second NF-A15 fan to N15S, my temps would be safe right? Also i ve got 3 noctua 14mm case fans 2front intake and 1 rear exhaust, do you think adding 1 top rear exhaust would also be beneficial or waste of money?

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019

I think if you leave everything the way it is its fine, a bit on the warm side. I wouldn't be pushing it any further for sure! 5ghz is plenty and you'll get the most life out of it with better cooling. Case fans really wont make much a difference as you've got the layout fine.

Solution
Jan 21, 2021
Alright then, so second Noctua fan soon will be on my D15S, plugged into sys_fan and i will try undervolt 5ghz 1.3v and if it wont be stable, I just leave the way it is now. Thank you very much for your help :)