Are two processors better than one?

robtheg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Two heads are better than one, but does that apply to processors? I'm in the final planning stages of putting together a dual processor system. Before I go ahead, I want to make sure I won't just be throwing money away. I'm going to be using the computer both for games and for developing CAD software. What kinds of gains can I expect to see verses a single processor system?

G

The o/s and the application have to support multi processors. Windows NT, ME and 2000 support multoiple cpus. I don't know about any games that do.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think Photoshop supports dual processors but I don't know of any other software that does. Check to see if your CAD software does, then I guess it would be worth it. I also don't know of any games that do.

G

3D Studio Max, I am sure Maya should.

Definitely QuakeIII supports it (I think Unreal Tournament also supports Dual processors' power)

A lot of new games and soft. should support it

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The o/s and the application have to support multi processors. Windows NT, ME and 2000 support multoiple cpus. I don't know about any games that do.
Actually only Windows NT and 2000 support it. WindowsME is much like Windows98. It doesn't support dual processors.

bilbobaggins

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I believe using two processors for a program that can utilize them only gets you between 25-35% increase. However, that can be dramatic when using a CAD program.