Question Are USB-C Hubs ok? And advice needed in general...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

I've only now just started using stuff with USB-C; but I don't have many places to plug them in... so I want to use a USB-C Hub.

However, I've read in manuals for various gadgets - that they don't recommend them; claim they won't charge as well; and could ruin things?

So I'm wondering if this is just them covering themselves legally - on the off chance that charging isn't quite as good; or if it causes damage, and most likely if someone bought a cheap inferior Hub etc?

Are they right - or is it nonsense?

I'm not going to buy anything cheap/dodgy - proper brands only- a reasonable price for a well made and well known product.

What do you think?

Also - can you have one USB-C Hub per USB-C port on your PC and/or Monitor?
Or should you only have one per item or something?
Does it even matter?

I ask because I have one at the front and one at the back of my PC Tower, and one in my Gaming Monitor/Screen?
Could you use all 3 if you wanted?

Any downsides or trade-offs when using USB-C Hubs (note that I've never used any kind of USB Hub before)?
E.g Does every item you add (beyond the 1st item); divide/share the available bandwidth and or power charging ability?
Is there a limit to how many items a Hub should allow (eg don't buy one that does more than 3 or 5 in one Hub?)

Is there a specific wattage or something which I need to check to make sure it does Fast Charging for my Phone and other things?

What do I need to know before I buy some?

These are the things I just don't know the answers too so I hope you can help,

thank you for your time

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
in general when i have used a hub of any kind it is always worth getting one that has external power. plugging it into the wall ensures it is getting the needed power for each device connected.

you can't expect a single port on your pc to all of a sudden power multiple devices. not gonna happen.

other thing i learned over the years is you get what you pay for. i don't go for the $50 hub, but the $5 one at the checkout counter of the drug store is not worth it either. i go for that nice middle ground $15-20 one (or whatever current pricing trends offer) after i read the fine print 10 times and very carefully compare it to other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.