[SOLVED] Are video cards always supposed to pass Furmark fullscreen?

oldgaming84

Prominent
Oct 27, 2020
If a video card has some kind of failure during Furmark fullscreen, does that mean the system has a problem period?

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I see some people arguing in favor of Furmark and others against.

I'm trying to decide whether to return a card or not, and it's not clear how much weight I should give to Furmark in relation to other tests.

Solution
Am experiencing whole machine shutdown as soon as Furmark fullscreen is started.

An entire system shutdown would be less likely to be a defective GPU - That would be more likely to see you lose display etc.

Are you shutting down, or rebooting?

Remember, Superposition & Heaven are benchmarks - stressful benchmarks of course, but benchmark tools none-the-less. Furmark is an outright power virus.

The GPU could be overheating, but that should underclock &/or increase fan speed to offset. Could also be a PSU issue.

Furmark fullscreen with other two gpus at the same time.

What are the other two GPUs?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Furmark is a power virus and an extreme outlier - but if you experience problems in Furmark, it certainly can be indicative of an issue with the system (whether its the GPU, drivers, power, cooling etc).

What exactly are you experiencing to question whether or not you should return the card? And what card is it?

oldgaming84

Prominent
Oct 27, 2020
Furmark is a power virus and an extreme outlier - but if you experience problems in Furmark, it certainly can be indicative of an issue with the system (whether its the GPU, drivers, power, cooling etc).

What exactly are you experiencing to question whether or not you should return the card? And what card is it?

Card is R9 380x, got it second hand, limit date for return is october 30 .

Am experiencing whole machine shutdown as soon as Furmark fullscreen is started. Have been doing some light gaming without issues. Superposition and Heaven benchmarks pass multiple times in a row without issues. Driver installed in the amd enterprise version, supposed to be the most stable.

System runs fine Furmark fullscreen with other two gpus at the same time.

Here's my other topic with all the details:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Am experiencing whole machine shutdown as soon as Furmark fullscreen is started.

An entire system shutdown would be less likely to be a defective GPU - That would be more likely to see you lose display etc.

Are you shutting down, or rebooting?

Remember, Superposition & Heaven are benchmarks - stressful benchmarks of course, but benchmark tools none-the-less. Furmark is an outright power virus.

The GPU could be overheating, but that should underclock &/or increase fan speed to offset. Could also be a PSU issue.

Furmark fullscreen with other two gpus at the same time.

Reactions: oldgaming84
Solution

oldgaming84

Prominent
Oct 27, 2020

The other two GPUs were a HD6950(200W) and a gtx 960 (160W), together more than the 380X's 300W. The system ran Furmark fullscreen in each of the gpus, so I thought the power supply was OK. It wasn't, took the 380x to a frinds rig and Furmark fullscreen ran perfectly, which most likely means my power supply is not working as it should.

Problem solved.

Also, this probably means that GPUs are indeed supposed to run Furmark fullscreen without crashes/shutdowns/glitches, etc...

Last edited:
When you are using furmark with unlocked power limit via msi afterburner for example the power draw can be CRAZY. I had 2 graphics cards dying when using Furmark, a gtx 780ti and gtx 680. Pc wouldnt boot anymore when one of those graphics card was attached after shuttdown.

This was with unlocked bios and power limit slider up to +200% TDP. I was running close to 180-200% TDP when the cards blew up, you cant get these kind of numbers with 10 or 20 series cards in whatever scenario. Gtx 670 whole cards power draw was around 475watts and 780ti was using 625watts, Even with voltage limited to default 1175mv i was getting 165% tdp, increasing core / memory clocks and voltage i reached 200% TDP limit.

Gpu temperature for 780ti was 97celsius when it melted, closer inspection was that the VRM blowed up on the main board, since i couldnt see the vrm temps and it was aircooled this was the cause. I dont suggest using furmark when you tweak power limit slider AT ALL.

oldgaming84

Prominent
Oct 27, 2020
When you are using furmark with unlocked power limit via msi afterburner for example the power draw can be CRAZY. I had 2 graphics cards dying when using Furmark, a gtx 780ti and gtx 680. Pc wouldnt boot anymore when one of those graphics card was attached after shuttdown.

This was with unlocked bios and power limit slider up to +200% TDP. I was running close to 180-200% TDP when the cards blew up, you cant get these kind of numbers with 10 or 20 series cards in whatever scenario. Gtx 670 whole cards power draw was around 475watts and 780ti was using 625watts, Even with voltage limited to default 1175mv i was getting 165% tdp, increasing core / memory clocks and voltage i reached 200% TDP limit.

Gpu temperature for 780ti was 97celsius when it melted, closer inspection was that the VRM blowed up on the main board, since i couldnt see the vrm temps and it was aircooled this was the cause. I dont suggest using furmark when you tweak power limit slider AT ALL.

So your cards getting fried was pretty much because the power limiter was set to 200%? Where was the power slider located, in the BIOS screen?

It had already issues before that, and the issue was vrm cooling not the power limit, if my card was working properly it shouldnt have fried just by using furmark. You can change power limit with msi afterburner, i meant unlocked vbios which is stored on the graphics card itself in bios chip. GPU manufactors like to limit the TDP to around +120% on most cards, unless you unlock it.