Are visible access points on my network?

blueljay59

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
When I do a Windows Network Diagnostic check, my list of visible access points (BSSID) show 18 items, some of which are on the same channel frequency.

Are all of these in my home network?
My own router, a combo modem/router displays a slightly different BSSID than what is on the device.

Solution
As he said above, for best performance ..

For 2.4Ghz, best to use channels 1, 3 or 5 and set to 40Mhz for bandwidth.
For 5ghz, channels 52-64 are best, as they allow for 20/40/80Mhz bandwidth. 100-140 allow for more transmit power, but more prone to interference, again set to 80/40/20Mhz in that order for bandwidth.
Channels 52+ should be used with DFS enabled, to avoid interfering with RADAR and weather systems, if they are in your area.

I found this explains it all - http://www.digitalairwireless.com/wireless-blog/t-eirp/quick-guide-to-5ghz-uk-part-2.html
As he said above, for best performance ..

For 2.4Ghz, best to use channels 1, 3 or 5 and set to 40Mhz for bandwidth.
For 5ghz, channels 52-64 are best, as they allow for 20/40/80Mhz bandwidth. 100-140 allow for more transmit power, but more prone to interference, again set to 80/40/20Mhz in that order for bandwidth.
Channels 52+ should be used with DFS enabled, to avoid interfering with RADAR and weather systems, if they are in your area.

I found this explains it all - http://www.digitalairwireless.com/wireless-blog/t-eirp/quick-guide-to-5ghz-uk-part-2.html

Solution
Unless you have a very old router they have disabled the ability to set any channel that requires DFS manually. You have to let it use auto and many manufacture just do not want to deal with this. So many routers will never use the DFS channels.

The FCC and the EU version of the FCC a couple of years back required router manufactures to not allow this to be set. People where setting there router country code to russia and then they could set these channels and turn the power up to illegal values. Not sure how they managed to disable it but you can pretty much only set channels 36-48 and 149-165. Technically in the EU you are not support to be able to manually set 149-165 but it appears they did not disable it....same as you can transmit at the full 1watt power the USA allows even though you are not really suppose to.