Are we actually paying for brand?

GambinoGod

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
Greetings, I am a owner of a Logitech G403, a great mouse that doesn't disappoint,
Yesterday I came across another mouse from a respectable company, the Redragon M711 Cobra and I was shocked.
Well, I was really shocked when I saw it was 2x cheaper than my G403 but offered almost the same.

The Redragon M711 Cobra has :
Pixart 3325
More RGB than the G403
Software control
10,000 DPI
1000Hz polling rate (can be chanegd to 125,250,500.)
Braided cable

The G403 has all that but only a better sensor (I am sure the difference is not noticable), the PMW3366, and 2000 more DPI, but is that really worth 20+ dollars more?
Are we paying for Logitech's name? I am sure we are, I am asking this question because I have a person interested in buying my G403 and I am considering selling and buying the M711.

Solution
Sometimes you're paying for the brand name, sometimes the more expensive item is actually better.
Sometimes they distract you with "more RGB", so you don't notice the crappiness until after you buy it.

Logitech makes solid mice.

USAFRet

Titan
Sometimes you're paying for the brand name, sometimes the more expensive item is actually better.
Sometimes they distract you with "more RGB", so you don't notice the crappiness until after you buy it.

Logitech makes solid mice.

Solution

GambinoGod

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
To be honest, RGB isn't a plus for me, I am not a "RGB fanatic" or "fanboy", I am fine with the item being in solid black color, but I am talking about performance and quality, it's amazing how a maybe slightly less quality mouse is half the price of a big brand one.

USAFRet

Titan

Unless you find some objective 3rd party reviews, you won't know unless you buy one.

It might be OK, it might suck.

USAFRet

Titan

I meant actual reviews. Not "I just bought the bestest mouse EVAR!"

User ratings on Amazon and Newegg are next to useless.
You actually have to read through and see what problems (if any) develop.

USAFRet

Titan

"lowered rating. wont power on after abut 5 months of use"
"After several weeks of use my right mouse button started sticking in the middle of a ranked game. Brutal to say the least. "
"The mouse stopped working 31 days after I purchased it."
"The mouse is consistently sticking now. Haven't even had it two weeks."
"This is a hardware issue, the mouse is just unable to click after about 3 months of use."

Every product has some duds. But are those duds a result of the cheapness? Dunno.

The Logitech may indeed be priced more due to the brand. But they do make solid mice.
But for me to change from my MX Master, something else would have to be objectively "better". Not just "mostly the same but cheaper".

GambinoGod

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
It seems that it's a risk I am not willing to take, I will keep my G403, after all, RocketJumpNinja placed it at 1st place of best mice of 2018.

If you're reading this and you are on a budget, the Redragon is a great company, and if you don't have 40 dollars for a mouse, I can't recommend anything else but the Redragon Cobra M711, if you're looking for a keyboard aswell, their mechanical K557 and a cheaper K552 are a great choice (I am actually buying the K557 for myself in near future.)
I've come to a conclusion, remember, it's called a "budget mouse" or a "budget keyboard" for a reason, and that is because it lacks quality.