Are we wrong to ignore Epson photo printers?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Compatible is a very slippery word to be meaningless, especially with
inks, which are not regulated by anyone.

Art

measekite wrote:

> OK, lets say that they are Canon COMPATIBLE Prints printed on a CANON
> printer.
>
> Kennedy McEwen wrote:
>
>> In article <O4WdnSF9vqT0_6PfRVn-2A@giganews.com>, Brian Potter
>> <bpotter@thebar.net> writes
>>
>>> As long as he didn't use a Lex mark, an HP or an Epson printer, it's
>>> still
>>> a 'Canon print' regardless of what expendables he used to make it.
>>

>> I disagree - a "Canon print" is just that: printed by a Canon printer
>> on Canon paper using Canon ink. Anything else isn't a Canon print -
>> and I suspect that Canon would strongly object to their registered
>> trade name being used to describe it as such!

It also doesn't mean the variations are only small. You have no idea
what dyes they are using, which is a main issue in longevity. That's a
but like saying as long as I brew a tea the same way and use water, it
will taste like any other tea. Well, don't tell that to a tea
connoisseur. There are hundreds of types of black and green teas,
flavored and scented teas, herbal teas, mixed teas, and then the
qualities differ within each tea, as well.

There are dozens if not hundreds of ways to make a cyan dye colorant.
Why do you think Epson, for instance, has reformulated their cyan dye so
many times. Years ago, when some of the earlier pigment and pigmented
inks were being designed, I recall companies like Lyson issuing new dye
and pigment sets about once every two months. The dyes and pigments had
numbers and often only one color was altered. Compatible can mean just
about anything.

Art

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> I exclusively used Epson inks on all my Epson printers for about 4
> years, and they are my oldest prints. I actually moved to 3rd party
> only after Epson moved to chipped cartridges, on principle. I still
> have about 10 or 15 Epson ink cartridges which are being used for
> certain applications, where I need results with dye inks which are
> repeatable. I never have reported on my 3rd party ink prints as "Epson
> prints" in terms of longevity or color, because that would be totally
> unfair and dishonest. We do need to dot the 'i's when discussing
> longevity, as best we can.
>
> Interestingly, my Epson OEM ink prints done on Tektronix papers, some
> of which are nearly 8 years old now, and exposed to relatively high
> indoor lighting, show only mild cyan fade in lighter areas.

As I understand what is being said is that the Epson/Tektronix
combination is not a real Epson print. The real Epson print, according
to some people, is the Epson print produced with Epson ink on Epson
paper that DID fade. Maybe we can put this to rest by saying Epson CP
or Canon CP print; the CP standing for compatible.

> The same prints done on Epson photo paper (the glossy stuff) faded
> pretty badly in about 18 months (cyan failure) in medium-high
> lighting, however, the Epson matte paper has held up well. Some older
> HP matte paper did not work well with the Epson inks, in terms of
> longevity, but I have no idea how it compares to current HP papers.
>
> "Compatible" inks can vary massively from their OEM counterparts.

Are you also inferring that since they vary in results, they can also
vary in quality and can also clog the print head. If that is the case
you need to be very careful when choosing 3rd party inks. You also
never know that a Supplier Named ink can come from various
mfg/formulators and can also vary from batch to batch. Even if from the
same mfg, they can independently change their formulation and or quality
or they can change their supplier of raw materials. The OEM monitor
this very closely with very tight specifications as they are trying to
maintain a level of quality and consistency.

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> As it is, I have a heck of a time keeping up with current transfers to
> media. I have literally changed storage devices and media a good
> dozen times in the last 15 years, and I would literally have to hire
> someone just to do that work. It is a tremendous waste of time, which
> I am pleased to say my several 100 thousand slide image collection
> doesn't require... well, except for a dozen or so rolls of Agfa slide
> film that is fading).

My Primary backup is to a hard drive. That has not changed in years.
From their I go to DVD. It seems to work for me. Hard Disk media is
the fastest and cheapest. Using a removable hard disk bay will give you
endless capacity. I would double backup. I have this automated every
night when I am sleeping.

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> On what are you basing this statement, may I ask? Do you know for a
> fact that Canon compatible inks use the same dyes in them as the Canon
> OEM inks? The same solvents, the same percentages, the same quality
> and purity?

That is the issue. And that applies to Epson 3rd party as well. There
are no standards, standards adherence, official quality testing from a
certified testing agency or anything like that so you really never know
what you are getting. Even if you have had good luck from a supplier
that put their name on the product you will never know if the next batch
is from the same mfg or even if it is if it is the exact same
formulation. I guess being a Clone is not the same as being
Compatible. And even then some are on the fringes of compatibility and
others are tightly compatible. Identifying the ones on the fringes is
not easy.

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Compatible is a very slippery word to be meaningless, especially with
> inks, which are not regulated by anyone.

I agree. I am sure your ink supplier uses that word "compatible" as well.

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> It also doesn't mean the variations are only small. You have no idea
> what dyes they are using, which is a main issue in longevity. That's
> a but like saying as long as I brew a tea the same way and use water,
> it will taste like any other tea. Well, don't tell that to a tea
> connoisseur. There are hundreds of types of black and green teas,
> flavored and scented teas, herbal teas, mixed teas, and then the
> qualities differ within each tea, as well.

That why we drink COFFEE in the USA ;-)

In article <9NR%d.54410$ZO2.20400@edtnps84>, Arthur Entlich
<artistic@telus.net> writes
>As it is, I have a heck of a time keeping up with current transfers to
>media.

Forget it Art. He is a juvenile tosser that has only seen one or two
generations of media change and really hasn't a clue what he is posting
about at all.
--
Kennedy
A lovely little thinker, but a ah heck when he's pissed.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 03:09:43 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>>Sorry, but that's cobblers. Different manufacturers formulate their
>>inks differently. One is not equal to the other. Compatible can just
>>mean that their cartridges fit the printer.
>>

>I am not speaking of compatible cartridges. I am speaking of compatible
>inks. If you refill a Canon brand cartridge it is most obvious that it
>fits the Canon printer. If the ink has the same characteristics then it
>is compatible. It needs to have the same characteristics so it will
>function PROPERLY with the Print Head. That does not mean there may be
>small variations with some differential in quality.

Rubbish!

The ink can be *completely different* as long as it works with the
printer.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:16:39 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> It also doesn't mean the variations are only small. You have no idea
>> what dyes they are using, which is a main issue in longevity. That's
>> a but like saying as long as I brew a tea the same way and use water,
>> it will taste like any other tea. Well, don't tell that to a tea
>> connoisseur. There are hundreds of types of black and green teas,
>> flavored and scented teas, herbal teas, mixed teas, and then the
>> qualities differ within each tea, as well.
>
>That why we drink COFFEE in the USA ;-)

And what type of coffee? Mocha? Java? Kenyan? Arabica beans? Rustica
beans? It's no different to tea in that there are lots of varieties
and lots of different blends.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:56:32 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
wrote:

>Further, and much more to the point, cars don't produce an end product
>using expendable like a printer does (other than pollution from
>gasoline), so it's a very poor analogy.

It's also a poor analogy because putting different inks in a printer
can be compared to putting in different fuel. And not all petrol is
the same, not least to say what would happen if you put diesel in a
petrol engine ;-)

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

In article <XW%%d.414$zl.168@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, measekite
<measekite@yahoo.com> writes

>Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> It also doesn't mean the variations are only small. You have no idea
>>what dyes they are using, which is a main issue in longevity. That's
>>a but like saying as long as I brew a tea the same way and use water,
>>it will taste like any other tea. Well, don't tell that to a tea
>>connoisseur. There are hundreds of types of black and green teas,
>>flavored and scented teas, herbal teas, mixed teas, and then the
>>qualities differ within each tea, as well.
>
>That why we drink COFFEE in the USA ;-)

If you have only ever drink it in the USA then I would even question
whether it really is COFFEE!
--

In article <fbS%d.54663$ZO2.15454@edtnps84>, Arthur Entlich
<artistic@telus.net> writes
>They might now, considering the prints may both look better and last
>longer if NOT printed with their inks and papers.

Even when better, Canon have been known to prosecute for misuse of their
trade name, as are most major companies.
--

Hecate wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 03:09:43 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>

>>>Sorry, but that's cobblers. Different manufacturers formulate their
>>>inks differently. One is not equal to the other. Compatible can just
>>>mean that their cartridges fit the printer.
>>>

>>I am not speaking of compatible cartridges. I am speaking of compatible
>>inks. If you refill a Canon brand cartridge it is most obvious that it
>>fits the Canon printer. If the ink has the same characteristics then it
>>is compatible. It needs to have the same characteristics so it will
>>function PROPERLY with the Print Head. That does not mean there may be
>>small variations with some differential in quality.
>>

>Rubbish!
>
>The ink can be *completely different* as
>

>long as it works with theprinter.

That is exactly the definition of compatible; at least in the US

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> However, head failures with Epsons are statistically rare, and
> certainly their print heads have a longer life span than any other
> inkjet printer. I almost daily hear from people who are running 8 to
> 10 year old Epson inkjet printers. That is very rare with other
> brands, because, they fail due to breakdown, or the technology is so
> inferior relative to current output that no one bothers using them.
> Epson's very first color inkjet came out at 720 x 720 dpi output,
> which even today give a reasonable nearly photographic output on good
> inkjet paper.

My brother still uses my old Stylus Color 400.
Probably just barely often enough to keep it going.
That is, he uses it when he wants color.
When his Epson dot-matrix LQ-something (around 18 years old) won't do.

I bought the SC400 for $99 (refurbished), in 1998 I think, figuring it would
make a good stopgap while I decided what "real" color printer I wanted.
But it did so well I didn't bother upgrading for about five years.

I only ever bothered with a handful of "photo" prints, but on quality
Epson paper,
they were quite impressive. Practically amazing in 1998, from a "cheap"
printer.

Bob

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Further, and much more to the point, cars don't produce an end product
> using expendable like a printer does (other than pollution from
> gasoline), so it's a very poor analogy.

Ah, but there you may be just slightly mistaken...

Much of the highest regarded "fine art" in the world
is done in oils.

....and that makes it not entirely different from
what my Mazda B-2000 has done in the driveway.

Bob

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 04:08:03 +0000, Kennedy McEwen
<rkm@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <XW%%d.414$zl.168@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, measekite
><measekite@yahoo.com> writes
>>

>>Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>
>>> It also doesn't mean the variations are only small. You have no idea
>>>what dyes they are using, which is a main issue in longevity. That's
>>>a but like saying as long as I brew a tea the same way and use water,
>>>it will taste like any other tea. Well, don't tell that to a tea
>>>connoisseur. There are hundreds of types of black and green teas,
>>>flavored and scented teas, herbal teas, mixed teas, and then the
>>>qualities differ within each tea, as well.
>>
>>That why we drink COFFEE in the USA ;-)
>>
>If you have only ever drink it in the USA then I would even question
>whether it really is COFFEE!

LOL!

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

What can I say, other than, you would? ;-)

Art

measekite wrote:

> I think that Taliesyn made sense and was clearly understood.

The reason I was very clear to indicate which ink and which paper is to
avoid any confusion or misleading anyone. I also mentioned using Epson
ink and Epson paper in some situations.

I should probably have also mentioned, in fairness, that those prints
were done with 4 color Epson printers (CMYK), which I am a big advocate
of, because they avoid the low dye load color sets which tend to be more
fugitive.

Probably the best solution in discussion specific to longevity is to
mention both the ink being used and the paper type and brand.

Regarding inks, I absolutely agree that branded product can change its
supplier and content. And not just 3rd party, although they are much
more likely to do so and not test the product thoroughly, but also OEM.
Epson changed their ink supplier or at least the factory (changed
country of origin) several times, and the color of the inks changed. I
have seen Epson ink cartridges and inks made in Mexico, USA, Japan,
China and other countries. The Chinese inks specifically had differing
colors.

Art

measekite wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Art
>>

>> measekite wrote:

>>> If you want to dot all of the i's then you can call is a 3rd party
>>> Canon compatible print produced by a Canon printer. According to
>>> your logic, the majority of the people on this NG are producing
>>> prints from Epson printers that are not Epson prints, including
>>> yourself. That is because, like yourself, they are using 3rd party
>>> inks and many different brands of paper. To me, if the inks and
>>> papers are truly Epson or Canon compatible, then they are
>>> representative of the OEM and should share the majority of the same
>>> characteristics.

>>> Mine are 5 months and just laying around on a desk near a window. So
>>> far I am lucky. I cannot predict the future. Even if they fade,
>>> that might have been the case with Epson as well, save perhaps the

Yes, the problem of consistency in inks is a problem with 3rd party of
any brand and for any printer brand, and, as mentioned previously, even
with OEM.

Your only real safeguard is the reputation of the ink company and any
warranty they offer.

Ink manufacturing isn't quite rocket science but there is enough
variability in the formulations to allow for quite a range of results.

Once again, when people discuss issues such as fading, color accuracy
with drivers, color casts on color ink produced monotone prints, they
should always mention the ink involved and the paper in use.

Art

measekite wrote:

> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> On what are you basing this statement, may I ask? Do you know for a
>> fact that Canon compatible inks use the same dyes in them as the Canon
>> OEM inks? The same solvents, the same percentages, the same quality
>> and purity?
>

> That is the issue. And that applies to Epson 3rd party as well. There
> are no standards, standards adherence, official quality testing from a
> certified testing agency or anything like that so you really never know
> what you are getting. Even if you have had good luck from a supplier
> that put their name on the product you will never know if the next batch
> is from the same mfg or even if it is if it is the exact same
> formulation. I guess being a Clone is not the same as being
> Compatible. And even then some are on the fringes of compatibility and
> others are tightly compatible. Identifying the ones on the fringes is
> not easy.
>

>> I guess that means all one time recordable CDs are the same too, since
>> they all use a similar technology. Funny how some are expected to
>> last for 100 years and other barely make it through 3 months without
>> failures.
>>
>> I'm afraid if anyone is using watery logic, its you.
>>
>> Art

There are probably nearly the same number of coffee types and methods of
roasting as there are teas. Ask my wife... our house is filled with
different coffee devices, and she has probably tried a good 100 or more
blends and types of coffee beans before coming up with her "favorite".

Although I can certain taste the difference, I rarely drink coffee, so I
can't get too involved in the whole thing. ;-) I just seem to get stuck
buying all the contraptions.

Art

measekite wrote:

> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> It also doesn't mean the variations are only small. You have no idea
>> what dyes they are using, which is a main issue in longevity. That's
>> a but like saying as long as I brew a tea the same way and use water,
>> it will taste like any other tea. Well, don't tell that to a tea
>> connoisseur. There are hundreds of types of black and green teas,
>> flavored and scented teas, herbal teas, mixed teas, and then the
>> qualities differ within each tea, as well.
>

> That why we drink COFFEE in the USA ;-)

If memory serves from my university human anatomy course, the species
does tend to have one "brain". Numerous lobes, a couple of hemispheres,
but only one brain. ;-)

Art

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Yes, the problem of consistency in inks is a problem with 3rd party of
> any brand and for any printer brand, and, as mentioned previously,
> even with OEM.

But OEM is more tightly controlled since they have million riding on a
reputation.

> Your only real safeguard is the reputation of the ink company and any
> warranty they offer.

Try and collect a warranty from a noname made overseas. Most of the so
called brands are just names given to brand X by dealers or resellers
except for Formulabs, Dyson and companies like them. Those exceptions
seem to offer better consistency. However, most of the industry can
vary each time they go out for bid.

> Ink manufacturing isn't quite rocket science but there is enough
> variability in the formulations to allow for quite a range of results.
>
> Once again, when people discuss issues such as fading, color accuracy
> with drivers, color casts on color ink produced monotone prints, they
> should always mention the ink involved and the paper in use.

Don't forget about print head clogging when mentioning a Name/Source for
3rd party ink.

> Art
>
> measekite wrote:
>

>> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>
>>> On what are you basing this statement, may I ask? Do you know for a
>>> fact that Canon compatible inks use the same dyes in them as the
>>> Canon OEM inks? The same solvents, the same percentages, the same
>>> quality and purity?
>>

>> That is the issue. And that applies to Epson 3rd party as well.
>> There are no standards, standards adherence, official quality testing
>> from a certified testing agency or anything like that so you really
>> never know what you are getting. Even if you have had good luck from
>> a supplier that put their name on the product you will never know if
>> the next batch is from the same mfg or even if it is if it is the
>> exact same formulation. I guess being a Clone is not the same as
>> being Compatible. And even then some are on the fringes of
>> compatibility and others are tightly compatible. Identifying the
>> ones on the fringes is not easy.
>>

>>> I guess that means all one time recordable CDs are the same too,
>>> since they all use a similar technology. Funny how some are
>>> expected to last for 100 years and other barely make it through 3
>>> months without failures.
>>>
>>> I'm afraid if anyone is using watery logic, its you.
>>>
>>> Art

I agree, clogging complaints should "finger" the ink used, if it can be
identified, or it should at least be referred to as not being OEM...

Art