Question Are Wi-Fi and Bluetooth adapters built-in to the motherboard ?

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Hello. Do Wi-Fi and Bluetooth adapters come as extra components for laptops and desktop computers, or are they built-in to the motherboard? I want to buy a new PC. The description of the product doesn't say anything about Wi-Fi and Bluetooth adapters, so I'm wondering if the desktop PC will be able to use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, or only Internet cables ?

The motherboard is LGA 1155. So, if Wi-Fi and Bluetooth adapters are built-in into the motherboard, does this motherboard (LGA 1155) have such adapters?

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
if it is not in the description or spec. it is not there
I have read that LGA 1155 has such adapters built-in. Doesn't that mean the PC I want to buy also has such adapters, because it has LGA 1155, and LGA 1155 has the adapters built-in, despite the fact the adapters aren't listed in the description?

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
where? I would like to see it.
like I said before no. no. and no
you need to get your own wifi card or adapter
I read it here: https://propairing.com/do-motherboards-come-with-wifi-and-bluetooth/

The article says this:

"To put it simply, yes, most modern motherboards come with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connections."

So, doesn't that mean motherboadrs have the adapters, I'm asking about, already built-in, and the adapters don't come as separated/extra components?

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
it said most. most also don't. so basically it said nothing. I would said laptop do, desktop motherboard only on some.

If I were you, I would stop going to that site.

How do I check if LGA 1155 for desktops, supports Wi-Fi and Bluetooth?

The website is legit and poplar in my country. They don't make scams.

rgd1101

Don't
LGA 1155 for desktops, supports Wi-Fi and Bluetooth?
what the model of this motherboard? check the manufacturer website

popular doesn't mean they have good info. not saying they are scam but bad info

USAFRet

Titan
I have read that LGA 1155 has such adapters built-in. Doesn't that mean the PC I want to buy also has such adapters, because it has LGA 1155, and LGA 1155 has the adapters built-in, despite the fact the adapters aren't listed in the description?
This depends on the specific motherboard.

The vast majority of desktop motherboards do NOT have WiFi/BT built in. No matter which socket.

USAFRet

Titan
The article says this:

"To put it simply, yes, most modern motherboards come with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connections."
Whoever wrote that is simply wrong.

Go to pcpartpicker.com
Go to the motherboard selection.
On the left are the various filters.
Down at the bottom is WiFi.

Show All: 3730 compatible products
Filter by None: 3101 compatible products
Select all the various forms of WiFi: 629 compatible products

So, of the 3730 motherboards listed at pcpartpicker.com, 16% have some form of WiFi.

Of the 488 LGA1155 motherboards listed, 20 of them have some sort of WiFi.
4.1%

Even if MB doesn't have a WiFi/BT built in it's easy to ad one, either PCIe or USB adapters, On vast majority of MBs it's just an ad ob card anyway, either with own socket or hard wired. MBs with it are more expensive and difference in price can justify buying one as you choose.
That would also make it easier to upgrade adapter if needed.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Well, first off, LGA1155 is pretty old cpu socket type (circa 2011-2012), which means that mobo's based on it may or may not have built-in WiFi & BT, since WiFi & BT were not really hot items back then....

Therefore I am not sure why you would consider any machine using that socket to be "NEW", but perhaps you are simply confused or misinformed about the age of the pc parts involved ???

However, as already stated, there are tons of pci-e expansion cards & USB adapters available for adding either one or both to an older pc starting at around $20......

Nowadays though, practically all "NEW" pc's and their mobos (other than bottom-of-the-barrel p.o.s's), either desktop or lappy, normally have these adapters built directly onto the mobo, as they are simply regarded as essential and required features by most people....

Hello. Do Wi-Fi and Bluetooth adapters come as extra components for laptops and desktop computers, or are they built-in to the motherboard? I want to buy a new PC. The description of the product doesn't say anything about Wi-Fi and Bluetooth adapters, so I'm wondering if the desktop PC will be able to use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, or only Internet cables ?

The motherboard is LGA 1155. So, if Wi-Fi and Bluetooth adapters are built-in into the motherboard, does this motherboard (LGA 1155) have such adapters?

If it doesn't say anything about bluetooth/wifi, then it likely doesn't have it. Although I have never seen a laptop that didn't offer at least wifi.

That said, there are tons of USB adapters and PCIe (better) adapters which will allow upgrades

There is a mini pci connector on some motherboards which can use a plug in specialty cards like wifi. My ASRock mITX B450 Fatal1ty motherboard has one. But it's an additional cost. So if it's on the motherboard, chances are it's populated. Most motherboards for desktops use this mPCIe slot if they have built in WiFi

Example only: Amazon.com: NETELY Wireless-AC 7265HMW Mini-PCIE Interface WiFi Adapter-Wireless-AC 1200Mbps (2.4GHz 300Mbps & 5GHz 867Mbps) Network Card with WiFi Audio Adapter (Wireless-AC 7265HMW) : Electronics
Intel makes a version of the AX210 wifi/bluetooth chipset for mPCIe

What are Mini-PCI Express (mPCIe) Cards? (assured-systems.com)

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Nowadays though, practically all "NEW" pc's and their mobos (other than bottom-of-the-barrel p.o.s's), either desktop or lappy, normally have these adapters built directly onto the mobo, as they are simply regarded as essential and required features by most people....
Laptops, yes.
Desktop motherboards, no.

Most desktop boards do NOT have WiFi built in.

pcpartpicker.com is an easy resource to test this.

Filter for a particular motherboard level.
AM4, for instance. This covers recent Ryzen CPUs.

Then, filter on/off for WiFi.
Compare the numbers.

~30%.

You can do your own comparisons.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Most desktop boards do NOT have WiFi built in.

But most mobo makers offer at least a few board models with built-in WiFi, some will come with pre-installed mini m.2 x 2230 cards, others will include a regular or half-height pcie card & antenna, and still others will have the open mini m.2 slot so you can add your own card if you want to later on...

USAFRet

Titan
But most mobo makers offer at least a few board models with built-in WiFi, some will come with pre-installed mini m.2 x 2230 cards, others will include a regular or half-height pcie card & antenna, and still others will have the open mini m.2 slot so you can add your own card if you want to later on...
Sure.
Most manufacturers do have a WiFi native motherboard or three.

But that in no way means "To put it simply, yes, most modern motherboards come with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connections."
From the article quoted by the poster in reply #5.

That is like saying:
"Most cars are EV, because most manufacturers have one or two EV models".

Reactions: CountMike