[SOLVED] Are Xilence power supplies trustworthy?

Aug 27, 2020
Hello, I am interested in buying a psu for my brand new system. I want more than 850 watts but I don't want to spend a fortune on my power supply. While I was searching for a decent psu with more than 850 watts I found the Xilence Performance X 1050 W and Xilence Performance X 1250W. They are both 80+ Gold Certified, but I am not sure if I should buy one of them. I have not heard Xilence before so I don't know if I should buy one of their units.

Solution
I own an Rx 580
based on some benchmarks 2x rx580 perform identically to an Rx 5700xt
So instead of spending $400 on this card, I will spend half the amount on a second Rx 580
Based on online wattage calculators I will need around 850W. Will a Corsair RM850 Watt 80+ Gold PSU be appropriate for this build? I was searching for a PSU with more wattage becase I thought that I will need it.

Let's see the exact benchmarks you're talking about.

You can't simply multiply the RX 580's performances by two; GPUs don't scale like that. Not all games even support multi-GPU solutions at all anymore and most of the ones that do scale incredibly poorly, as in under a 20% gain for a second GPU. And many of the increasingly few games...
You can find worse power supplies, but if you are spending more than say $600 on your parts then getting a better known quality one is a good idea. Trying to save 20-30 on a power supply when you are going to be running a 1,000 worth of parts from it is silly. I can't find any information on the warranty for those models, if it's 5 years or more that is one way to tell you have a decent power supply. Can't find detailed reviews on them.

You can find worse power supplies, but if you are spending more than say $600 on your parts then getting a better known quality one is a good idea. Trying to save 20-30 on a power supply when you are going to be running a 1,000 worth of parts from it is silly. I can't find any information on the warranty for those models, if it's 5 years or more that is one way to tell you have a decent power supply. Can't find detailed reviews on them.
I kinda felt the same about saving a few bucks...for what? I did find a document that appears to be from a UK reseller that states it has a 3 year "return to base" warranty which I assume means shipping it to Xilence on your own dime. Not very inspiring for a £142 model. IIRC, models below 901 watts in the performance X series are 2 years warranty. They do offer an extra year warranty if you register with Xilence within 60 days of purchase.
https://www.quzo.net/xilence-performance-x-power-supply-unit-1050-w-atx-black-xn076-pid142604.html

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020
I am not sure if I will be ok with an 850W 80+ Gold psu
I think that I might need more wattage
My GPUs are factory oc (there are the ASRock Rx580 Phantom Gaming D) and I will overclock my CPU to 4.2 GHz
I also don't want to spend more than 150 dollars on a psu

Aug 27, 2020
I found on an etailer that the warranty period is 2 years. Another etailer says that the warranty is 3 years. A third one says 2 years

More than 850W? This PC doesn't need anywhere near 850W. This GPU's still under 200W in a stress test. Even extremely aggressively assuming 200W from an overclock of a 3600 (and you don't know what you will be able to overclock your CPU to, either, that's not how overclocks work), you're still only at 400W.

You're buying something you don't need (the very high wattage output) at the cost of something you actually do (PSU quality, warranty). You can get a high-quality 650W PSU under $150, with an actual decade-long warranty; there's literally not a single good reason to get a lower-quality 1000W PSU with a pitiful warranty instead.
He is crossfiring 2x580’s

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
He is crossfiring 2x580’s

Oops, I missed that.

Still doesn't need more than 850W.

Of course that begs the question: why?

This whole system confuses the heck out of me. They're determined to get a lower quality PSU with more wattage than they need, but they need more wattage than that because they want to run a Crossfire GPU solution that nobody should want.

OP: There are serious problems with your conception of this build. I urge you to take a step back and reconsider the very troubling PSU/GPU determinations you're making, because these choices are just burning money for no actual benefit.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Oops, I missed that.
No you didn't wasn't mentioned before your reply.

This whole system confuses the heck out of me. They're determined to get a lower quality PSU with more wattage than they need, but they need more wattage than that because they want to run a Crossfire GPU solution that nobody should want.

OP: There are serious problems with your conception of this build. I urge you to take a step back and reconsider the very troubling PSU/GPU determinations you're making, because these choices are just burning money for no actual benefit.
Agree.

Aug 27, 2020
Oops, I missed that.

Still doesn't need more than 850W.

I own an Rx 580
So instead of spending $400 on this card, I will spend half the amount on a second Rx 580
Based on online wattage calculators I will need around 850W. Will a Corsair RM850 Watt 80+ Gold PSU be appropriate for this build? I was searching for a PSU with more wattage becase I thought that I will need it.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I own an Rx 580

Let's see the exact benchmarks you're talking about.

You can't simply multiply the RX 580's performances by two; GPUs don't scale like that. Not all games even support multi-GPU solutions at all anymore and most of the ones that do scale incredibly poorly, as in under a 20% gain for a second GPU. And many of the increasingly few games that scale well will have a lot of microstutter, low 1% FPS, and require endless driver tweaking.

Buying a mediocre high wattage PSU for the purpose of setting up an underperforming, inefficient multi-GPU setup is just a giant mess. But it's your money and your decision.

Solution
I own an Rx 580

A 5700xt will eclipse 580's in crossfire in 99% of scenarios.

Dual gpu performance is all but dead in modern titles.

Sell your 580, get a 650W psu and a decent single gpu (even a 5600xt is way way better than any crossfire configuration) , you'll be far happier.

If you really must run 580 crossfire then a good 750w psu is more than enough.

The xilense x models are OK but that's all they are, mediocre at best but with gold efficiency

Thats about the newest Comparison I can find for crossfire on modern titles.

Last edited: