Are Xilence PSUs any good?

iNarek94

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Hello! I need to upgrade my PSU to a descent one, with some ~500W power, so i have searched in my local stores and most of them have Xilence PSUs and a lot. Considering the price, i was wondering if they were quality made and things like that. My choice was on XILENCE XP530R5 "Performance A" Series, just wanted to know if someone has dealt with them or if this particular one really gives 530W of power. Thank you and sorry for probable bad English :)

Solution
EDITED:
Consult this list: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html .

PSUs are not created equal, there is no regulating body that requires the PSU to be tested to ensure that it outputs what is on the sticker. A cheap psu is like a cheap car amp for less then $100 claiming to output 1600watts.

When a PSU gets 80+ certified then the psu is tested to ensure its output, and that it can do it at any level of efficiency. The 80+ ranking means that it can provide 50% load with no more then 20% loss and that it can provide 100% of stated load. Now this rating alone does not make it a quality psu, a quality unit is designed to work for years and has plenty of over/under voltage/current/temperature...
EDITED:
Consult this list: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html .

PSUs are not created equal, there is no regulating body that requires the PSU to be tested to ensure that it outputs what is on the sticker. A cheap psu is like a cheap car amp for less then $100 claiming to output 1600watts.

When a PSU gets 80+ certified then the psu is tested to ensure its output, and that it can do it at any level of efficiency. The 80+ ranking means that it can provide 50% load with no more then 20% loss and that it can provide 100% of stated load. Now this rating alone does not make it a quality psu, a quality unit is designed to work for years and has plenty of over/under voltage/current/temperature protections built into it. Raidmax PSUs have 80+ rating but the company just builds them to pass the test with no regards to system stability, thus they have earned the reputation name of "motherboard killer".

Many brands have both good and bad units. The only real constant safe bets is anything 80+ bronze or better from Atnec, XFX, or Seasonic. There are many other good PSUs out there by EVGA, Corsair, Rosewill etc but you will want to consult the list linked previously.

Best rule of thumb for PCs or anything else for that matter: Don't go cheap on the part that can destroy everything else.

Solution
450 will power a 270 but wont leave you with much lead room. You should just spend the small amount more and get a 550 or 650w from the get go. A 550 will power anything except a GTX-770/780s and 290 (or higher) cards from AMD. A 650w psu will power any single card gpu made.

The HEXA line claims it meets 80 plus requirements but does not actually have the 80 plus certification, sounds a little sketchy to me, I would not advise it.

As stated, anything from Antec, XFX, or Seasonic is good. Anything made by Superflower with 80+ bronze rating will also be good.