Brenda813

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
I'll be ordering the MSI GS75 Stealth 10SGS-027 and am debating doing a custom build vs. just going with the stock options. One of the sites MSI sends me to, is Xotic PC. I like the idea of being able to customize to fit my needs, but are these upgrades really worth it? In particular...

• Dead Pixel Warranty
  • Professional Monitor Calibration
  • Hard Drive Slot 1 (and slot 2) - Is the XPC, Samsung 970 or Seagate Firecuda any better than the default hard drive that comes with the PC?
  • Thermal Cooling - I'm not sure what IC Diamond or Thermal Grizzly Compound are and do they really help performance?
  • Cooling and Overclocking - Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads / Redline Boost™ Overclock My Graphics Card. Again, not sure what these do, or if they improve performance.

The computer will be taxed (professionally) with Adobe Creative Cloud, sometimes having several Adobe apps open at once (PSD, INDD, AI, AE), as well (personally) with Red Dead Redemption 2.

Solution
For a computer that will be used hard the cooling upgrades can be important and can allow higher performance and longer life. Overclocking can reduce the life of parts and may not be what you want for professional use. The thermal past and high high performance cooling pads are very real and allow the rest of the cooling to perform better. Overclocking trades reliability for performance. You may want to consider a workstation that has ECC memory.
For a computer that will be used hard the cooling upgrades can be important and can allow higher performance and longer life. Overclocking can reduce the life of parts and may not be what you want for professional use. The thermal past and high high performance cooling pads are very real and allow the rest of the cooling to perform better. Overclocking trades reliability for performance. You may want to consider a workstation that has ECC memory.

Solution