Are XP menus/ loading icons slow???

bikeme74

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2002
Hi There.

Did I do something wrong or is XP Professional a little slow? I have a computer with Win98se and after installing a fresh copy of XP Pro on a new computer, I notice that the "fly-out" menus (Start, Program, etc) are a little slow in showing the content. With Win98se, the menus just pop out fast, with the content. Also, I noticed my Windows XP computer, the icons on my desktop, sometimes flinched or flicker. (I can't describe it). For example, when I go/open the control panel window, I notice that it take a while for the computer to load the pictures of the icons in that window. For a milli-milli-nano second I can see different icons (looks like a piece of paper icon) before the right picture of the icons show up. The icons on my desktop sometime do that too. Sorry I can't describe it, but I hope you guys know what I mean. Your help or input on this is greatly appreciated.

My computers
Windows 98se on Pentium III 800mhz
Windows XP Pro on Pentium IV 2.4 ghz

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\MenuShowDelay

Change default value (400) to 0, may have to reboot.

TweakUI for XP will also do this for you.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Also, try going to Desktop Properties > Appearance tab > Effects

Uncheck:

"Use the following transition effect for menus and tooltips"
"Show shadows under menus"

Plus, go to System Properties (My Computer > right-click > Properties)
Advanced tab
Performance Settings

For the best performance, click Custom and keep the following checked:

Show translucent selection rectangle
Show window contents while dragging
Smooth edges of screen fonts

If you like the Windows XP Luna look, also keep these checked:
"Use visual styles on windows and buttons"
"Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"

Bryan

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=329" target="_new"><b>My System Rig</b></A> (courtesy of <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A>)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by btvillarin on 11/20/02 06:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>