Are you a 'Book Worm'? What do you read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
I am a book worm and I love F1 drivers' biographies and fiction in general, authors like Sidney Sheldon and Agatha Christie as well as Conan Doyle.

How often do you read and what do you read?

Solution
I listen to audiobooks daily - to/from work and walking for exercise.

Like Heinlein for sci-fi (Starship Troopers is incredible - nothing like the movie). Current fantasy is most anything by Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn series right now (book 2).

If you are interested in King, there are so many ways to go. If you want a more fantasy oriented series then it's Dark Tower. Horror there are always It, Salem's Lot, and The Stand.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

It seems like DiCaprio bought the rights to the book in order to make a movie sometime in the future. Judging by the (true)story alone I'm looking forward to watching the movie and also reading the book.

PS: Why do you say you'll never get those hours back? Do you wish you hadn't read the book for some reason?

The book has some interesting insights into a really interesting time in American history. But the book largely focuses on the construction of the World Fair. The book goes on and on about architect complaining about red tape, and each other. Just when you think you've had enough and can call the book a loss, they toss in a really interesting serial killer for a few pages. But then it's back to the architects.

I finished the book just to see what happened to the killer. Really his story could have been done in a short story a few pages long. 90 percent of the book felt like a waste of time. Especially since I'd say I'm a slow reader by comparison to people that read more often.

I really hope the movie focuses more on the killer. it's one of those times I can see the movie being better then the book.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

It's a shame if the book really does that since I was expecting more about the killer too. Luckily DiCaprio is going to play H.H. Holmes in the movie which tells me the movie will be more interesting than the book.

Funny, I also read that book, I did not think it was that popular. IIRC I read it at least 10 years ago. I enjoyed the part about the 1904 World's Fair and the history of that but could have passed on the creeper that incinerated murder victims in an oven.

I used to read a LOT of books when I was younger. Today I pretty much just read industry journals because I have to for work, and read kids' books to my little girl. The last adult book I read was Norm Abram's "Measure Twice, Cut Once" because my wife saw it at the library and thought I would find it interesting (she was spot on, I watched "Nahm" since he was on The New Yankee Workshop in the '80s when PBS was one of the seven channels we got OTA, because OTA was all there was living outside of city limits and the hell we were going to pay to have a C-band dish and receiver!) I think I can recite pretty well every Dr. Seuss book and the entire Llama Llama series from memory by now, and "sticky bears is twice as much" from Michael Bond's "Paddington Bear" is a funny punch line at our house.

The book happened to catch my eye on a recommended reading shelf at a barnes and noble. I also picked up another Erik Larson book, "In the Garden of the Beast". But I haven't been able to bring myself to read it because I'm afraid I just won't like his style.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

I guess neither am I, but I love reading in the open air, under a tree with the afternoon breeze on my body. I don't think you can feel as good by using a computer or a smart phone.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
mostly sci-fi & horror... some of my favorites are

Ubik (pretty much anything else by Phillip K Dick... "Maze of Death" is good too)
Rendezvous With Rama
Phantoms
Inferno and the sequel Escape From Hell

Leslie_18

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016

I love reading. :) My favorites are really old historical books and Stephen King. My favorite indoor past time is just surfing the web and reading all kinds of topics

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

I've always wanted to read a book by Stephen King, which one would you recommend me to start with?

CDdude55

Distinguished
I used to read a lot when i had my Kindle, i need to get another at some point. Though i guess i could go physical too.

I love mystery and thriller books, also education/political stuff sometimes. My favorite authors currently are Blake Crouch and Steven James and my favorite book is Wayward by Blake Crouch (it's the second book in the Wayward Pines Trilogy). They made a show out of it, but ive never seen it.

Also some really interesting books ive read from other authors are The List by JA Konrath (hated the ending though) and Choke by Chuck Palahniuk

I listen to audiobooks daily - to/from work and walking for exercise.

Like Heinlein for sci-fi (Starship Troopers is incredible - nothing like the movie). Current fantasy is most anything by Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn series right now (book 2).

If you are interested in King, there are so many ways to go. If you want a more fantasy oriented series then it's Dark Tower. Horror there are always It, Salem's Lot, and The Stand.

Solution

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Thanx! I'll check those out, especially the ones by King.

Brandon Hobart

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016
I am not actually a bookworm but when I start reading a book (no matter older or latest), I stick to it till the end. My reading power was built when I first started reading Harry Potter (Literary Series). I completed all of the 7 books in the series. Then I switched to the suspense novel 'Digital Fortress' by Dann Brown. He is really a skilled author I must say. Soon I started attracting towards the love and romance type of novels. I continued with the Twilight Saga. And most recently I have read Fifty Shades of Grey. It was really mesmerising and seductive, though ;)
And now I'm looking forward to buying the next part of the serial and have my eyes on Fifty Shades Darker.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

:pfff:

zquarebubbles

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
I'm not a book worm but I used to read a lot way back when. Often I find myself thinking about starting to read again, but then think about how much time my binge reading might take and drop the idea. Mostly because I like to read everything, no matter the genre.

Reactions: Gular_Jackson
Status
Not open for further replies.