Are you afraid of flying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saberus

Distinguished
Never been flying before, at least in aircraft. I am afraid of heights, having been thrown off a building. Oddly, I do want to try skydiving at least once, and if it ever leaves the realm of science fiction into reality, orbit jumping.

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
I have phobia of heights.
So i though taking a plane would be awful. But not that much. I can't say i'm relax during take-off, landings or in turbulence, but i'm more uncomfortable by being lock in a plane with many unknown people than by flying.

D

Deleted member 217926

Yep, I hate to fly. I don't mind it so much once the plane reaches cruising altitude but taking off and landing, well those aren't my favorite things to say the least. I am somewhat scared of heights but the flying thing is more of a control issue than being up high I believe. I will fly if I have to and I have flown about 30 times but thankfully benzodiazepines work very nicely to make you not care about being scared!

Nope, no fear here. I have a PPL, though not current for health reasons. Biggest thrill was a ride in the back seat of an F-4 Phantom out of NAS Barber's Point back in '77. Also a big disappointment, as there are no flight controls in the back seat, so I didn't get to yank 'n bank her myself.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Not really since the first time I did when I was younger. It is kind of weird to think about when you're up in the air though... it just seems like the potential for disaster is close by. Taking off & landing is the only thing that makes me grip the arm-rests a little harder :lol:

And I've heard the statistics about airplanes being 100x safer than automobiles, but I'd much rather be involved in an automobile accident than a plane crash

USAFRet

Titan

I got an F-16 ride in Germany (1990?). And yes, the backseat is fully functional....:)

Fun fact - that particular aircraft is now assigned to the DC Air National Guard, and was used as a photo platform to take pics of AF-1 right after Obama took office.
This pic was taken from that jet:
ht_air_force_one_1_090731_ssh.jpg

85-1509_006.jpg

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

Yeah, i've read about that too. But i'm pretty sure that most of people who dies in a plane crash never had car accident before !..
I mean, i'll take the plane again, but that's not the kind of thing that makes me better.
As Anort said: BZD helps a lot ^^

Saberus

Distinguished

Been in a few car crashes, so flying should be safe with me around. :) If only statistics worked that way.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I flew many times in my life. But now when I will be 71 years old soon. My appetite for flying has diminished somewhat.Especially with the antics going on in today's flights which is dangerous to say the least.

dcb-z

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
I personally find flying exciting. When I was a kid I went to an airshow and we were allowed to ride in one of the little two-seater planes as a copilot. It's something I'd love to do again, but for now I get to stick to the rare trip in an ordinary old plane.

I flew many times in the Navy, commercial hops not military, my most favorite part was when we arrived and the door was opened to get out!

Had one in flight incident where we ran into a downdraft and dropped 2,000 feet in seconds from a 30,000 feet cruising altitude, my stomach was literally in my throat and I almost tore the armrests off the seat! :) (That is no joke!)

The captain come over the squawk box and informed us we had hit an air pocket, had dropped 2,000 feet and we would be climbing back up to our cruising altitude of 30,000 feet.

The stewardess was attempting to calm me down, I had made many flights and never experienced something like that!

I said, "Didn't you hear what the captain said, he said we dropped 2,000 feet?"

She told me not to worry it was a common thing that happens all the time!

I had a death grip on the seat arm rests!

Don't Worry, we have plenty of altitude?

I said, "Yeah, But what if we were at 2,000 feet!" :) (True Story)

Status
Not open for further replies.