Discussion Are you excited for 2024/2025?

IDProG

Distinguished
Am I the only one who is excited for 2024/2025?

I'm upgrading my phone in 2024. I'm trying something new, like Google Pixel 8. I have watched reviews of how good Google's phones are.

I'm also upgrading my laptop. I have heard of something called Strix Halo, an APU with a 16-Core CPU and 40 CU GPU. This thing is more powerful than a PS5. Now, I'm not planning to buy this top-spec version unless it costs $2000 max, which it probably won't. I am buying the 8-Core version with, like, 24 CU. I REALLY hope it only costs $1500 max, preferably $1000 with 8GB RAM and an empty RAM slot. Come on, the MacBook Pro can have M2 with higher-than-1080p screen at $1500, and we know Apple's profit margin is high. Non-Mac 1080p laptops can do better in pricing.

I am also planning to upgrade my PC's CPU to something like Ryzen 8800X3D and the GPU to RDNA 4/RTX 50. Considering the crap they got this gen for releasing bad products, I have faith that they will do better next gen.

"But, AI" you might say. Nvidia made a huge mistake by buying so many 4nm, hoping that the crypto mining lasted longer. I am sure they won't make the same mistake again. I am sure they will be prepared in case the AI bubble bursts next year. I also heard AMD was making something very big with RDNA 4.

I am expecting around 4 years of lifespan for the phone, 5 years for the laptop, and 7 years for the PC.

I like old tech stuffs so no idea about 2024 though.

I recently upgraded my 2017 Oppo R17 to a newer 2019 Oppo Reno 2Z, thinking that its 256GB ROM would help as the older phone was almost full. It turned out that the seller has flashed the phone with a custom ROM with fake storage info, showing it as 256GB, but in fact it's 128GB.

Fortunately I already had some experience with rooting and flashing phones so it took me a couple of days to flash the phone back to original ROM so that I can receive official OTA update.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Am I the only one who is excited for 2024/2025?

I am expecting around 4 years of lifespan for the phone, 5 years for the laptop, and 7 years for the PC.

Probably not the only one... but definitely more excited than me. I built a 7700k/1080 Ti rig in 2017... upgraded to a 10900k/3090 rig in 2021... and upgraded to a 7950x3D/4090 rig a month ago.

My plan is 5+ years out of this PC.

I upgraded from the iPhone 12 to the iPhone 14 Plus a few months ago... my first "big screen" phone and it's yellow so I can find it easily. Didn't much care for the Pro Max camera so I went for the Plus instead. Same screen size. OLED is great for the PC and home theater but don't care about it on the phone.

3+ years out of the phone easily. I used to upgrade every year but that stopped with the iPhone 6. Phone hardware is just too good now... much like PC hardware.

I'm good to go on my gadgets.

Two years is all I expect from main PC but I rarely change whole thing at once, mostly partial upgrades, part by part unless having to change whole generation and even then just necessary parts, (MB, CPU and eventually RAM), Two years old parts can still fetch decent price to ad just minimal amount of money to upgrade. Within those 2 years i do some minor enhancements like adding/changing storage or cooling.
In last 2 years I changed storage to all (6) M.2 NVMe disks instead of one NVMe + mix of SATA SSDs and HDDs when found for bargain prices. Last upgrade is to GPU skipping 2 generations and expect to keep it even for next upgrade, I always go for mid upper class to keep expenses down

D

Deleted member 2838871

Two years old parts can still fetch decent price to ad just minimal amount of money to upgrade.

That’s pretty much the reason I upgraded after only 2 years. I got over $1300 for the old parts.

Had I waited 4 years like I did with the prior build I’ve have gotten a lot less.

IDProG

Distinguished
I upgraded from the iPhone 12 to the iPhone 14 Plus a few months ago... my first "big screen" phone and it's yellow so I can find it easily. Didn't much care for the Pro Max camera so I went for the Plus instead. Same screen size. OLED is great for the PC and home theater but don't care about it on the phone.

3+ years out of the phone easily. I used to upgrade every year but that stopped with the iPhone 6. Phone hardware is just too good now... much like PC hardware.

I'm good to go on my gadgets.
The reason I'm excited about the Google Pixel is because I watched reviews of Google Pixel 7, and people said the phone was really good, and not that expensive, too ($600).

I am crazy for customization. I am going to absolutely customize the hell out of the phone. Icon packs, equalizers, wallpapers. Lots of possibilities that my current Xiaomi phone just does not allow.

Being a popular phone means that rooting will be available quicker. After rooting the phone, I will quickly remove all bloatwares and undervolt the phone to the max, since I don't really play games. I might even search for other things, even as extreme as a custom kernel, to improve the experience.

It should last 4 years, hopefully, if the screen does not break.

The reason I'm excited about the Google Pixel is because I watched reviews of Google Pixel 7, and people said the phone was really good, and not that expensive, too ($600).

I am crazy for customization. I am going to absolutely customize the hell out of the phone. Icon packs, equalizers, wallpapers. Lots of possibilities that my current Xiaomi phone just does not allow.

Being a popular phone means that rooting will be available quicker. After rooting the phone, I will quickly remove all bloatwares and undervolt the phone to the max, since I don't really play games. I might even search for other things, even as extreme as a custom kernel, to improve the experience.

It should last 4 years, hopefully, if the screen does not break.

I don't have a Google Pixel but I've heard that Pixel phones come with stock Android without any bloatware?

I keep punting on upgrading my primary system. I don't like AMD's IHS choice and definitely don't feel like voiding warranty to fix it. Intel is almost as much of a space heater under full load as my video card is. I'd also rather have more PCIe lanes than are currently available on desktop, but absolutely cannot justify the CPU/Mobo/RAM price of entry being $2.4k+ (w5-2455X). A long winded way of saying I hope Zen 5/MTL/ARL delivers on at least improving my biggest issues so I feel good about the upgrade.

Phone wise I already have a Pixel 7 Pro which I'm rather happy with and don't plan on upgrading unless there's a fantastic deal on something new.

Don't really have any use for a laptop, but I'm looking forward to the ROG Ally (which technically is not 24/25).

Last edited:
Google bloatware. Google apps that I don't really need.

Yes I see.

There is a financial app called Finshell Pay that is installed on my Oppo phone without me knowing it (if you got your phone from India you probaly have it too). Google Playstore refused to uninstall the app. I used ADB commands but it doesn't work, it seems that Google wants to protect the app from being uninstalled. The best I could do is to use ADB to disable the app.

The reason I quit rooting is because many apps stop working on rooted phone.