are you running 1600x1200x32bit dvi?

What card are you using? Brand and specific model would be appreciated.

I'm having some problems driving a Dell 2001FP with a Dell oem geforce 3 ti
200 at 1600x1200x32bit using the dvi port(s) and supplied Dell dvi cable on
my (non Dell) win xp machine. At that resolution, the monitor will get
frequent periodic blank screens at the xp desktop (ie the image goes
on/off), especially when 'doing' anything like changing focus between
windows. Swapping out the Dell supplied dvi cable for another (single link,
standard grade) doesn't solve the problem. Reducing the resolution does. I
don't see the problem using the analog port(s). Having another card to test
with would be nice, but at the moment, that's not an option.

Thinking that it's possibly a dvi cable quality problem I'm waiting to
receive a supposedly better quality cable (Belkin dual link) to try that. I
know the dual link capability itself shouldn't be an issue but I'm hoping
the cable quality at that maximum resolution is the source of my problem.
However, I've also heard that certain cards can't reliably drive a monitor
via the DVI port at the highest spec DVI can support (1600x1200).

thanks for any comments,

--Don
don{at}donlindbergh{dot}{com}

Check out the Dell Dimension monitor forum. There are some known issues
with the 2001FP and blanking at certain resolutions/refresh rates.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=dim_monitor

"Don Lindbergh" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in

> I'm having some problems driving a Dell 2001FP with a Dell oem geforce
> 3 ti 200 at 1600x1200x32bit using the dvi port(s) and supplied Dell
> dvi cable on my (non Dell) win xp machine. At that resolution, the
> monitor will get frequent periodic blank screens at the xp desktop (ie
> the image goes on/off), especially when 'doing' anything like changing
> focus between windows. Swapping out the Dell supplied dvi cable for
> another (single link, standard grade) doesn't solve the problem.
> Reducing the resolution does. I don't see the problem using the
> analog port(s). Having another card to test with would be nice, but
> at the moment, that's not an option.

----
Remove the upper-case stuff from my e-mail address to send me a note
----

I have an Asylum Geforce FX 5700 Ultra 128 MB card which works great with
the Dell 2001fp using the Dell supplied DVI-D cable. I have had no
problems.

Terry McKelvey

"Terry McKelvey" <kim7404kellyspam@msn.com> wrote in message
> I have an Asylum Geforce FX 5700 Ultra 128 MB card which works great with
> the Dell 2001fp using the Dell supplied DVI-D cable. I have had no
> problems.
>
> Terry McKelvey

Thank you that's helpful. I won't be surprised if my new 'premium' Belkin
cable makes no difference.
Besides compiling any kind of list of known working combinations I guess I'd
like to try and determine if there are any Nvidia cards which are known
*not* to work at this res.
Seems like I've got one, but maybe it's a fluke.....

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 15:57:13 -0500, "Don Lindbergh"
<nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>What card are you using? Brand and specific model would be appreciated.
>
>I'm having some problems driving a Dell 2001FP with a Dell oem geforce 3 ti
>200 at 1600x1200x32bit using the dvi port(s) and supplied Dell dvi cable on
>my (non Dell) win xp machine. At that resolution, the monitor will get
>frequent periodic blank screens at the xp desktop (ie the image goes
>on/off), especially when 'doing' anything like changing focus between
>windows. Swapping out the Dell supplied dvi cable for another (single link,
>standard grade) doesn't solve the problem. Reducing the resolution does. I
>don't see the problem using the analog port(s). Having another card to test
>with would be nice, but at the moment, that's not an option.
>
>Thinking that it's possibly a dvi cable quality problem I'm waiting to
>receive a supposedly better quality cable (Belkin dual link) to try that. I
>know the dual link capability itself shouldn't be an issue but I'm hoping
>the cable quality at that maximum resolution is the source of my problem.
>However, I've also heard that certain cards can't reliably drive a monitor
>via the DVI port at the highest spec DVI can support (1600x1200).
>
>thanks for any comments,
>
>--Don
>don{at}donlindbergh{dot}{com}

My Video setup:

ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB AGP retail (Cat4.5)
DV-I: (Monitor #1) Samsung SyncMaster 213T Black 21.3" TFT
1600x1200 32bit 60Hz (native)
VGA: (Monitor #2) ViewSonic P225f 22" Aperture Grille CRT
1600x1200 32bit 85Hz
TV OUT: S-video to 36" Sony Wega XBR-400
1024x768 32bit 60Hz NTSC

WinXP HE SP1
DirectX 9.0b

The ATI card does an excellent job. Everything I see works very well.
I play bf1942 for example with all the mods etc with everything maxed,
including all of the eye candy and no ghosting or other aftifacts on
the Samsung.
But for the S-video long run, I use whatever cabling came from the
mfrs.

Happy trails,

> On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 15:57:13 -0500, "Don Lindbergh"
> <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> >What card are you using? Brand and specific model would be appreciated.
> >
> >I'm having some problems driving a Dell 2001FP with a Dell oem geforce 3
ti
> >200 at 1600x1200x32bit

At what refresh rate? 1600 x 1200 at 60 Hz is just about at the
limit of what a single-link DVI connection will support.

Bob M.