Question Argb and Rgb

Apr 9, 2019
Hello!

I got an Asus prime 470-Pro, since there is only a RGB header I got this question:

I have also an Cooler Master ML360R, is it possible to add a other ARGB device to its controller? Like the Delta RGB 5v SSD?

If not, do I have another option to connect the SSD otherways? The 12v SSD version is not available in The Netherlands.

Greetz,,

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Actually, it should be easy. Electrically, the ARGB system in the SSD unit is the same as any other ARGB system. The SSD comes with a cable that connects to the SSD and then has two connectors on the other end. Each of those is for a slightly different pin layout on a mobo ARGB header, depending on which mobo you have.

The Cooler Master ML360R system includes their most advanced ARGB controller box which has four ARGB output channels, each with its own output port on the controller. The system also includes an ARGB Splitter so that you can connect to a single ARGB header (or Controller port) three fans for the 360mm Radiator and one Pump for the AIO system, leaving one Splitter output unused. The connector system used in the Cooler Master set is one of the two most common, with space for 4 pins but missing one pin in the line. It uses male (with pins) output headers and female (with holes) connectors on the ends of the RGB lighting units' cables. Those are completely compatible with the cables from the RGB portion of the SSD unit, so you could just plug that SSD's ARGB cable into one of the outputs of the AIO system's Splitter. Then all your RGB lighting - pump, rad fans and SSD unit - will sync their displays to the same thing, controlled by one channel and output port of the Controller. You aslo would have an option to do non-synced displays if you use other Controller ports and set them up to be different.

Reactions: Mtpolo
Apr 9, 2019
Ah thank you very mutch, so it is possible? ^^

I was most concerend about the Cooler Master software aswell, as I red many stories about the companies protecting their ecosystem.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would not expect there to be a problem. There really is no way for an ARGB header to detect exactly what ARGB lighting device is plugged into it. As far as I know, the Control Line in that system is a one-way communication system; that is, it can send instruction packets out from the controller port on that line, but it cannot receive return packets from the line.

If you want to be sure, contact Cooler Master and ask them specifically if there are any problems connecting a competitor's ARGB lighting device to their Controller and software. Surely you can NOT connect a plain RGB system, and some makers' devices use connectors with a different physical pin configuration (although still the same electrically), but those are not problems you should have.