[SOLVED] ARGB Help: Hooking up new ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F/Master Cooler Build

Jun 8, 2019
www.thisedm.com
Hey everyone,
So I finally got started on my new production PC build and spent a pretty penny on components, so I’m trying very hard not to fry anything.

That said, I’m trying to figure out the simplest way to hook up a few ARGB capable components from the ASUS Aura Sync approved ARGB list and get them all connected to my motherboard so that they can be controlled with Aura Sync.
Here is what I’m working with and I’ll list everything and put an asterisk next to the stuff that has ARGB:

-Rosewill Spectra D100 chassis
-Asus ROG Strix B450-F*
-Ryzen 7 3800X
-Master Cooler ML240R*
-Master Cooler MF120R 3 Fan Kit*
-G.Skills Ripjaws V Series 32GB
-Asus GTX 1050Ti Phoenix
-EVGA 80+ 500w

Now the 3 fan kit came with a small simple controller with 1011 jacks for the aura sync ARGB, I’ve set that up for those fans. There is a pass through to mobo wire on that that is also 1011 pinout. My AIO has 4 of the same style pinouts on it (1011) as well as two passthroughs 1 RGB, 1 ARGB (1011) to the motherboard. My motherboard has 0 1011 pinouts and two 1111 pinouts (manual states those are standard RGB pinouts).
My question is: can I hook the mobo passthrough on my three fan kit controller hub into an ARGB port on the AIO Hub and then pass the AIO hub through to the 4 pin RGB header on my motherboard to give me ARGB control with Master Cooler’s software + Aura Sync or will I fry something by doing that? I’m at a loss tbh this is the first build I’ve ever done with ARGB. I know the 4 pin RGB header is 12v while the 3/4 pin headers (1011) are 5v. My PSU for this build gets here tomorrow and I’m just trying to get everything figured out before Thursday when it’ll get booted for the first time.
I’ve also reached out to the Asus ROG forum but so far no one has commented and it’s been about 24 hours now. Was hoping one of you fine people would maybe have some experience in this area since Tom’s is usually my go to for PC stuff.

Anyway thank you in advance

Solution
No. It's more than just a difference in voltages. RGB is analog, it's coltrolled by limiting the amount of current through 3 seperate lines, the colors. As one color gets dimmer, the other 2 get stronger and your eyes interpret that as a color change. That affects the entire chain as a single unit. This differs from ARGB which has individual addresses and controllers for each seperate led. You can seperate a single led in the middle of the chain and change its color without affecting any other led, as those have their own power and controllers.

It's almost like the difference between 3pin fans and 4pin. Only RGB is variable amperage and ARGB is constant.

You can't mix them or something will get fried. You can chain the ARGB all the...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. It's more than just a difference in voltages. RGB is analog, it's coltrolled by limiting the amount of current through 3 seperate lines, the colors. As one color gets dimmer, the other 2 get stronger and your eyes interpret that as a color change. That affects the entire chain as a single unit. This differs from ARGB which has individual addresses and controllers for each seperate led. You can seperate a single led in the middle of the chain and change its color without affecting any other led, as those have their own power and controllers.

It's almost like the difference between 3pin fans and 4pin. Only RGB is variable amperage and ARGB is constant.

You can't mix them or something will get fried. You can chain the ARGB all the way through, but not to the motherboard RGB. You'll have to rely on CoolerMaster software that controls the ARGB for the fans to control the entire rig.

Solution
Jun 8, 2019
www.thisedm.com
So does that mean that by hooking up the Master Cooler control box to the RGB header that I’ll lose the ability to control everything through Aura Sync or does that mean that I’ll fry my header, my board, or both? I believe I get the concept you’re trying to explain. It’s like the difference between a lightbulb having a dimmer switch and it just being a static bulb kinda.
The literature on Aura Sync on my specific board with the lighting I have is rather vague at best. I really wish there was some solid industry standard but 🤷🏻‍♀️

Jun 8, 2019
www.thisedm.com
Well I decided not to wait for a new PSU to ship to finish my build. The build is now currently operational (minus the ARGB because I still don’t have a solid answer). Here is a diagram of the passthrough ports on the controller
81ORIl4McjS.pdf

My main question is regarding the bottom 4 pin RGB passthrough to motherboard connector. I’m unsure of whether that is 5v or 12v. If it’s 12v it’s fine to pass the controller through to my motherboard. Aura sync says my 4 pin 5050 headers are ARGB, so I should gain aura sync control IF I can connect to that header.