[SOLVED] aRGB Woes

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hello

I have 17 aRGB (5v) devices I want to connect to my new build. Mix of fans, strips, and other lighting elements like Strimer, a gpu support bracket, psu, etc.
Yes, I know, it's excessive, but this is an indulgence build and I want it to throw laser rainbows into the night sky, no judgement please.

The problem is that my motherboard only has two 5v argb headers. I've tried a series of splitters, but eventually each argb header runs out of addresses and everything on the latter half of the chain remains dark.

Does anyone know of any third-party RGB controllers that I could either daisy-chain or install multiples of in order to connect all seventeen of my aRGB devices and sync them all from one interface?

Someone recommended that I try the thermaltake tt sync controller, but that uses proprietary thermaltake connections that I don't know how to convert to my 4-pin (with 3rd pin blocked) argb.

Any ideas?

Edit to to clarify that my aRGB connections are 4-pin with the 3rd pin blocked. Does that make it 3-pin?

Last edited:
Solution
That is an RGB 5v hub not for 12v case fans so it would be connected to the RGB 3 pin header on the Mobo. Fans, even RGB fans are done on a 12v hub and connected to the Fan header vis splitter or 12v fan hub..... but there you can only have normally 3 fans RGB fans pro Mobo header or you may well trash the Mobo header.

What fans are you installing? Do they have 2 wires, one for the fan and for the RGB?

What voltage do they require, altogether not more than 1 Watt/Mobo header. If they require 3 volts then max 3 on one fan splitter/header.

I get you on the RGB thing, you can see my rig under the "show off your new components" thread ;-)

1 header can only power so much and this will do 12 individual components which is loads.

Just one...

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
SilverStone Technology Addressable 6 Port RGB LED Device Controller with Light Fan Speed and PC Power Remote Components SST-LSB02

This should work.

Thank you for the reply! Looking at the SilverStone, it doesn't seem to have the aRGB connectors I need. This is what those connections look like:

kMfOR3z.jpg

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

Thank you, is there any way to wire this so that, say, all the case fans are on this hub, but I can still have other individually addressable devices on the same motherboard header?

That is an RGB 5v hub not for 12v case fans so it would be connected to the RGB 3 pin header on the Mobo. Fans, even RGB fans are done on a 12v hub and connected to the Fan header vis splitter or 12v fan hub..... but there you can only have normally 3 fans RGB fans pro Mobo header or you may well trash the Mobo header.

What fans are you installing? Do they have 2 wires, one for the fan and for the RGB?

What voltage do they require, altogether not more than 1 Watt/Mobo header. If they require 3 volts then max 3 on one fan splitter/header.

I get you on the RGB thing, you can see my rig under the "show off your new components" thread ;-)

1 header can only power so much and this will do 12 individual components which is loads.

Just one final question, what are your overall specs and what PSU do you have to power all this 🔆

Cheers5

Solution

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

Just one final question, what are your overall specs and what PSU do you have to power all this 🔆

Cheers5

Thank you,

I found your post. Your RGB is quite nice! The contrast of the minimal blue surrounded by red makes a great look.

I have found a hub that takes power from a sata connection, will this be enough to power all my RGB?

I have 9 total fans. 3 on the radiator, then 6 on the case. They each have an RGB and a PWM cable.
Running a Threadripper 3970X on a Corsair RM1000x psu.

Hot rig with a cool, cool heart ;-) If it runs sata from the PSU yes power is not an issue. Remenber you have lots of cables so make it nice and tidy so that nothing is hiiting a fan blade. I prefer RGB fans that have 1x4 pin wire in whatever colour it decided on, ok you cannot change the colour but it makes for alot less cables and easier to install.

Best of luck :)