argh. win2k died. help

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
BIG bad news here.
i was running 1420@166 perfectly stable (or so i thought) on a athlon 1200C & epox 8k3a+.

did divx encoding for most of sunday no probs, when late in the evning BANG <font color=blue> Win2K blue screen of death</font color=blue> UGH :frown:
Kmode exception not handled in ntoskrnl.exe

when i rebooted, my system wouldnt boot.
it would get to windows proper then a second or two later spontaneously reboot.

i tried normal mode, boot logging, last known good mode, safe mode and safemode with command line.... all did exactly the same thing :frown:

i also then tried a win2k repair. with zero improvment.

booting up to command prompt via the win2k cd didnt work either as it kept asking for the bloody admin passowrd. my system doesnt have one!!! grrrr

gettin desperate now.
i dont want to reinstall as ive got stuff in the mydocuments folder and more importantly, unbacked up internet explorer bookmarks :(
havnt got a win2k emergency disk either. was actually gonna make one later this week (just my luck)
HHEELLPP

im pretty sure its only a corrupted file or two as changing the fsb to 133 or 100 has no effect, nor does running at standard 1200Mhz.
(which improved things on my old burnt out mobo)

so my questions are

1. how can i repair this sucker?
2. how can i recover the internet explorer bookmarks given that the OS doesnt work. can i copy them to my backup drive?
3. im gonna try to make a win2k emergency disk via a friends PC. are such disks swappable between different systems?
4. why does my system hate elevated fsb so damn much???? i see heaps of people running 24/7 at 166+ wihtout any issues. *snifs*

My Next Performance System!!! - P4 Celleron, 128k cache, SDRAM, Integrated graphics, 5400rpm HDD!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
do you have any extra drives? You're going to have to try a few different things.

first, boot with another copy of 2K (on the extra drive) and copy over whatever is important from the original drive. (maybe even put it on zip drive or something)

THen you're going to have to experiment with your overclocking to see if it's maybe a hardware problem. Do your experimentation with the scratch copy of 2K. Try to draw some conclusions before you go ahead and reinstall.

It almost sounds like a hardware problem - some component may have gone bad and it seems like it was software. The experiments above should verify that.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Q1- maybe
Q2- if you can access the drive by booting into another o/s with this drive as a slave, then probably
Q3- no
Q4- Thats life !

Did you install recovery console when you installed 2k? also you MUST have set an admin password when you first installed 2k.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well i did install a second copy of win2k on my other drive
and will format the first one tonite.
fortunately only a small amount of data resides on the C: partition.
all i really need is the list of programs i used, some documents, and my favorites.

i was talking to someone else in a different forum, and they reckon that the fsb problem is inherent with the Thunderbird... but not with the XP cpu range.

know of any studies that confirm this?

My Next Performance System!!! - P4 Celleron, 128k cache, SDRAM, Integrated graphics, 5400rpm HDD!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
no i didnt set the admin password... much to my regret.
anyways ive kinda given up on repairing it.
best to format the c: partition and go for a shiney new install.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
oh yeah.
for you information, here is a summary of my CPU/FSB stability profile
(remembering that 166fsb on this chipset gives 33/66 pci/agp stability)

default - 1200mhz @ 1.71v
1333(10x133) @ 1.82v
1400(10.5x133) @ 1.92v

these 3 settings are very stable, no problems with superPI or prime95 torture test.

1466(11x133) @ any voltage, even up to 2.1 is highly unstable for some reason. often BSOD before widows starts.
ditto with 1533(11.5x133)
BUT
i can run at 1500(9x166) @ 2.05v, and it seems stable, but generates computational errors with superPI and prime95 crashes almost immediately.

TRENDING THREADS