Ark freezes going into one area only it seems.

Saturnity

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
Alright so, I have tried looking it up and get no straight answers. I have changed settings and stuff and still nothing happens. It just randomly freezes when I go into the North-ish area on Ragnorok from the North-West. Almost every time, it seems to be in just one general area and its so annoying because it's over water and I die like every time and my Pteranadon will glitch out and fly away somewhere and freeze. It freezes to the point where I need to stop it in Task Manager to do anything else

It seems a lot of people with my GPU have this problem, the R9 280x, and I've switched my driver from optional to recommended and still nothing. The game doesn't "crash" so it doesn't create a log. Some of the times that it freezes it will tell me I lost connection to the server, and the other times it will just just never unfreeze or anything.

robax91

Distinguished
Things to try one at a time, make sure to restart PC after each step (easiest fix to most involved order):

1. Uninstall your graphic driver completely. Check the web for the most recent version. If you have the option for a fresh install, do that.
2. Uninstall the game completely and reinstall it.
3. Check your network driver for updates, or do a fresh reinstall of it.
4. Restore router settings to default, then unplug from the wall for 1 minute to power cycle.
5. Unplug the modem from the wall for at least 10 mins to power cycle/refresh the connection.
6. Check GPU temps while playing. If you have overclocked it, restore it to default speeds. If temps are over 85c, you might need to clean the fins with canned air and repaste it. Dust out the PC while your at it.
7. If temps are still a problem, clean CPU fins and repaste, then go into the bios and configure your fan profile for more performance (higher airflow).

I don't know if any one of these things will fix it, but it wouldn't take more than an hour to do all of them (except if you have slow internet while redownloading the game) and it might fix the problem.

Some older AMD cards had problems rendering shadows, check the drivers for shadow settings and tweak those if need be, or change the in-game quality settings. Good luck!

Saturnity

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017

I tried majority of these things, Temperatures are fine, monitored them while playing a session and the max was barely high. I can't redownload the game, as I have a data cap every month. What I was gonna do, is move it to my SSD, might help.