News Arm’s UK Staff Cut ‘By up to 20%'

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Ian Evenden, you know that Softbank is a fully Japanese Company, right?

Why are you calling them Chinese? That's insulting to the Japanese and Chinese.

Do all us Asians look alike to you now that you can't do your basic research to get a company's national ownership correct?

Reactions: sundragon

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Ian Evenden, you know that Softbank is a fully Japanese Company, right?

Why are you calling them Chinese? That's insulting to the Japanese and Chinese.

Do all us Asians look alike to you now that you can't do your basic research to get a company's national ownership correct?

facepalm It's corrected now, LOL

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
@sundragon :
Arm, which makes its money selling licenses to make its chips to other companies such as Apple and Samsung, but doesn’t produce any products itself,
That kinda undersells them, don't you think? You wouldn't say a software company "makes its money selling software licenses, but doesn't produce any products itself".

ARM's main business isn't selling ISA licenses, but rather designing and selling CPU, GPU, AI, and interconnect IP. That's a lot like making and selling software, and even more like what fabless chip companies like Nvidia and AMD do. Except, there's an extra intermediary a between ARM and the fabs.

Currently, I think Apple and Nuvia/Qualcomm are the only active users of ISA licenses, though Nvidia also has one (and presumably AMD, from the K12 days).

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Then the claims by Nvidia that ARM would see significant staffing cuts if the sale didn't go through turned out to be reality, not false posturing.
That doesn't mean regulators were wrong to reject Nvidia's acquisition bid. ...not that I ever called such claims into question, myself.

Regardless, I offer my sympathies to the hard-working ARM (ex-) employees, out there.

OriginFree

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
NO!

What a flimsy excuse. How convenient it is to constantly make mistakes when it comes to Ethnicity/Race in a modern multi-cultural interconnected world that we live in.

Well there was / is an ARM China division that has made 90% of the ARM news in the last year or two.

Obviously it was an unintentional mistake.

I get that you have issues but it was obviously a mistake. It's not like anybody has ever mistaken an Irishman for a Englishman. You don't see the Irish throwing a hissy fit ... oh wait.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's not like anybody has ever mistaken an Irishman for a Englishman.
Neighboring countries often harbor animosities towards each other, which makes the offense of confusing them seem very egregious to them. What's funny is how those at some distance frequently confuse them or even fail to see a meaningful distinction. And that's a universal phenomenon. Some of that is merely due to ignorance, but it should also give us pause when we think about it from a global/human scale.

That being said, I'd never mix up China and Japan. Their differences are much greater than those of most neighboring European countries or US vs. Canada. But, a lot could change in 50 years or so. China is virtually unrecognizable from the country it was 50 years ago. Japan changed massively, in the 50 years following WW II.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Well there was / is an ARM China division that has made 90% of the ARM news in the last year or two.

Obviously it was an unintentional mistake.

I get that you have issues but it was obviously a mistake. It's not like anybody has ever mistaken an Irishman for a Englishman. You don't see the Irish throwing a hissy fit ... oh wait.
I've never confused a Irishman for a Englishman and vice versa.

The least you guys can do is tell us Asians apart.